FieldChatter Forums

Full Version: Yankees trade Rainy Gray to Reds
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sonny Gray has finally been “relocated.”

The Yankees shipped the right-hander to the Reds on Monday along with 22-year-old left-hander Reiver Sanmartin, who finished last season with Double-A Trenton, in exchange for a package that included minor league second baseman Shed Long and Cincinnati’s compensatory pick in this year’s draft, expected to be the 36th overall, a source confirmed to The Post.
Long was immediately traded by the Yankees to Seattle, who sent Josh Stowers, a minor league outfielder, to The Bronx.
The 21-year-old Stowers was drafted by the Mariners last year in the second round and was with Low-A Everett last season.
Gray, who pitched poorly with the Yankees, still was able to sign a three-year, $30.5 million extension with a team option for 2023 worth $12 million, according to The Post’s Joel Sherman.

It was that arrangement that initially held up the trade. The two sides had until Monday to reach a deal after the Yankees and Reds agreed to the parameters of the trade Friday night.
Trading away Gray had been expected since he struggled again for the Yankees last season and was virtually cemented just three days after the Yankees were eliminated by the Red Sox.

At his season-ending press conference on Oct. 12, general manager Brian Cashman said one of his goals was to trade Gray.
“It hasn’t worked out thus far,’’ Cashman said. “I think he’s extremely talented. We’ll enter the winter, unfortunately, open-minded to a relocation. To maximize his abilities, it would be more likely best [for him to be] somewhere else.”
It was a sentiment the GM repeated on several occasions, but Cashman also insisted he wouldn’t simply give Gray away, since many people expect him to pitch well again once he’s no longer under the microscope with the Yankees.

“Ultimately, you want to play somewhere where you’re wanted,” Gray told The Tennessean last week. “If it just so happens for me to go back to New York, then I’m going to continue to do everything I can to win games, not only for the team, but to better myself as a pitcher and go that route and try to continue to perform at a high level.”
Cashman briefly cautioned against a trade after CC Sabathia’s December heart scare, but the lefty recently was checked out and given the OK to resume baseball activity after a follow-up stress test.

The current rotation includes Luis Severino, Masahiro Tanaka and Sabathia, as well as J.A. Happ, who was re-signed after a solid few months with the Yankees after being acquired from Toronto last season and another lefty, James Paxton, picked up from Seattle in a trade earlier in the offseason.
The Yankees could still add another starter, either through another trade or free agency.
The Brewers, Padres and Braves were among the teams that expressed interest in Gray, who settled with the Yankees in arbitration last week and will make $7.5 million next season. He was due to become a free agent for the first time following this season.

Gray, 29, was expected to be a significant pickup at the trade deadline in 2017, when he arrived from Oakland in exchange for three of the Yankees’ top prospects: James Kaprielian, Jorge Mateo and Dustin Fowler.
Instead, he was a disappointment for much of that season and was dreadful last year, when he lost his spot in the rotation and was left off the ALDS roster.
The Reds are betting that Gray’s ability to pitch well away from The Stadium is cause for optimism. Cincinnati’s pitching coach, Derek Johnson, was Gray’s pitching coach at Vanderbilt.
In 15 games (11 starts) this season in The Bronx, Gray had a 6.98 ERA as opposed to a 3.17 ERA in 15 appearances away from home.
“It doesn’t work out sometimes,’’ Cashman said of Gray in October. “Someone, if they trade for him, is gonna get the player we wanted. I fully expect that.”
I’m sad. He was my favorite Yankee ever.