Yanks interested in JA Happ
 x 0 x 0
If we can get him as a bit of a "salary dump"... without giving up a top prospect (I realize we need to give up something decent)... I guess I'm okay with it.  Even though I keep saying I'm only interested in a clear #1.  But I'm realistic and know the true aces being talked about (deGrom, Syndergaard, and Bumgarner) aren't going to be NY Yankees in 2018.

According to Jon Morosi of MLB Network, the Yankees and Mariners are both expressing interest in Blue Jays starter J.A. Happ.

The Blue Jays are coming off a surprising three-game sweep of the Nationals, but they're buried in fourth place in the American League East standings and are likely to launch into selling mode within the next several weeks, ahead of the July 31 deadline. Happ has seemingly emerged as Toronto's most valuable trade chip with Josh Donaldson battling health issues. The veteran left-hander holds a 3.48 ERA, 1.065 WHIP, and 94/25 K/BB ratio in 82 2/3 innings (14 starts) this season. He's making $13 million in the final year of a three-year, $36 million deal.
Etrius on Kavanaugh 9/19/18:  "Now he is saying he was there... Something happened and it was just rough sexual horse play."
 x 0 x 0
He's 35 yrs old and on the last year of his contract... I'm not sure I'd give up more than an ~ 10th best Yankee prospect.
Etrius on Kavanaugh 9/19/18:  "Now he is saying he was there... Something happened and it was just rough sexual horse play."
 x 0 x 0
(06-18-2018, 11:50 AM)sheets316 Wrote:  He's 35 yrs old and on the last year of his contract... I'm not sure I'd give up more than an ~ 10th best Yankee prospect.

Happ would be a stop-gap, but not a bad one. Still, to remain under the salary cap and avoid the luxury tax, which is a big Yankees priority for the rest of this season, we would need to dump about 3 million in salary if we take on Happ's 13  million. You can't do that by giving prospects alone. You'd need to trade a low-end veteran as part of the deal.

I suppose the Yankees could offer Brandon Drury (about 4.5 million) but I think Drury is worth more than Happ because he's only 25 and having a huge season in AAA. Walker (5 million) is a good possibility if Toronto will take him. I'm not sure what Torreyes is making, but it might not be quite enough to get it done. I know some people here really like Torreyes, but I prefer Drury for a lot of reasons. If Toronto would be willing to take Walker plus a low-level prospect, we could farm out a bullpen guy we don't need and create a spot for Drury to replace Walker.
If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
I can't imagine the Jays would want a salary dumped on them.

But I'd love Drury for Happ, as a Yankee fan.
 x 0 x 0
(06-18-2018, 03:43 PM)sheets316 Wrote:  I can't imagine the Jays would want a salary dumped on them.

I'd way sooner trade Walker than Drury.

Drury is eight years younger than Walker. Also, Walker is less of a 'salary dump' because he's on a one-year deal, while Drury has two more years to go after this one. If a team just wants to dump a pitcher's salary, wouldn't they be more likely to take a one-year contract than a three-year contract at almost the same yearly salary?

But if Toronto wanted Drury over Walker anyway, that tells you they think much more of Drury, and that their management is at least reasonably sane. Would I want to trade 25 year-old Drury for 35 year-old Happ? Probably not, and certainly not if I have to add a prospect to that deal.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
(06-18-2018, 04:29 PM)ancientyankee Wrote:  
(06-18-2018, 03:43 PM)sheets316 Wrote:  I can't imagine the Jays would want a salary dumped on them.

I'd way sooner trade Walker than Drury.

Drury is eight years younger than Walker.
Also, Walker is less of a 'salary dump' because he's on a one-year deal, while Drury has two more years to go after this one. If a team just wants to dump a pitcher's salary, wouldn't they be more likely to take a one-year contract than a three-year contract at almost the same yearly salary?

But if Toronto wanted Drury over Walker anyway, that tells you they think much more of Drury, and that their management is at least reasonably sane. Would I want to trade 25 year-old Drury for 35 year-old Happ? Probably not, and certainly not if I have to add a prospect to that deal.

I didn't even talk about Walker for Happ because it literally makes ZERO sense for Toronto.  There's a 0.000000% chance they do that.

I'd much rather trade Drury for Happ than any of our top 8-10 prospects.  He's a nice player... but I feel like that's his ceiling.
 x 0 x 0
I would love to get him...he is one of those krafty pitchers who keeps getting better with age. You obvious target the big price, but doesn't stop you from grabbing a guy like him at cheap.........Also because you never know how going for the big price ace turns out

I thin Happ for this team would be big help down the stretch and I feel very comfortbale with him at this point of his career pitching in October
Darnold: Jets  qb 2018-2035. 6 time SB champ, 6 time SB MVP, 9 time NFL MVP, 12 time first team ALL PRO, HOF class of 2040.
 x 0 x 0
German is looking like a decent back end pitcher. Johnny Lasagna showed a little something too. Getting Happ on the cheap would be a solid move. We're not really desperate just yet. I would send Drury and a low prospect at most.
 x 0 x 0
(06-20-2018, 10:47 AM)Are We There Yet Wrote:  German is looking like a decent back end pitcher. Johnny Lasagna showed a little something too. Getting Happ on the cheap would be a solid move. We're not really desperate just yet. I would send Drury and a low prospect at most.

You realize that Happ is a 35 year-old 1/2 season rental and probably wouldn't be back next year.  Do you really want to trade 25 year-old Drury and a prospect for that? To me, it would be the kind of desperate move that usually comes back to bite you in the ass.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
(06-20-2018, 11:52 AM)ancientyankee Wrote:  
(06-20-2018, 10:47 AM)Are We There Yet Wrote:  German is looking like a decent back end pitcher. Johnny Lasagna showed a little something too. Getting Happ on the cheap would be a solid move. We're not really desperate just yet. I would send Drury and a low prospect at most.

You realize that Happ is a 35 year-old 1/2 season rental and probably wouldn't be back next year.  Do you really want to trade 25 year-old Drury and a prospect for that? To me, it would be the kind of desperate move that usually comes back to bite you in the ass.

I was not aware it was half year rental. That changes my mind a little. They can have Drury anyway. We have plenty of young infielders and Torreyes is a decent sub. I would solidify the rotation to make a strong run this year if Drury was all it really costs us. 
 x 0 x 0
(06-20-2018, 11:52 AM)ancientyankee Wrote:  

Drury's upside simply isn't huge.  You do need to give up SOMETHING for Happ... it's far from "desperate" to give up a nice player who doesn't have a huge upside.  Would much, much rather give up Drury (who, barring injuries, has no role here... and that includes long-term) than a top 5-10 prospect.  I can guarantee you if the Jays call the Yanks, they're asking for guys like Frazier and Florial and Sheffield.  I'd MUCH rather give up Drury.

You can act like Happ is a meaningless player... but he's instantly our #2 SP.  For a team with serious WS dreams, adding a #2 SP for Drury sounds far from desperate.
 x 1 x 0
Ancient Yankee... you kept getting on me about wanting Happ (at the right price, which we got). You still upset we got him?
 x 0 x 0
(08-26-2018, 10:24 AM)sheets316 Wrote:  Ancient Yankee... you kept getting on me about wanting Happ (at the right price, which we got).  You still upset we got him?

lol, yup.....to be fair, did he bash it when we got him for what we did?

It was mind boggling for anybody not to like it when we made it at what we paid

I think DMB was bashing it as it happen, but I don't take what he says serious with the Yankees, considering he admitted he was a bandwagon Yankee fan who only comes out when they're good.......We have a lot of a Yankees fans in the base like that and it get's really annoying hearing their thoughts on the radio

Happ has been so huge.........Andujar on the offensive side......I was pumping Andujar(on here) up as this deadly hitter back in April of 2017 to be ready for......but fuck, he is ahead of the pace I thought
Darnold: Jets  qb 2018-2035. 6 time SB champ, 6 time SB MVP, 9 time NFL MVP, 12 time first team ALL PRO, HOF class of 2040.
 x 0 x 0
(08-29-2018, 03:36 PM)Tom Hanks Wrote:  
(08-26-2018, 10:24 AM)sheets316 Wrote:  Ancient Yankee... you kept getting on me about wanting Happ (at the right price, which we got).  You still upset we got him?

lol, yup.....to be fair, did he bash it when we got him for what we did?

It was mind boggling for anybody not to like it when we made it at what we paid

I think DMB was bashing it as it happen, but I don't take what he says serious with the Yankees, considering he admitted he was a bandwagon Yankee fan who only comes out when they're good.......We have a lot of a Yankees fans in the base like that and it get's really annoying hearing their thoughts on the radio

Happ has been so huge.........Andujar on the offensive side......I was pumping Andujar(on here) up as this deadly hitter back in April of 2017 to be ready for......but fuck, he is ahead of the pace I thought

I'd guess he did.  Because there are several threads between him and I discussing Happ before he came here.  I kept emphasizing with him that it makes sense because we don't have to give up a lot.

I forget if I said it on this thread, but I kept saying two things:

1.  Go for a true #1 ace... but as I kept saying (correctly)... that ain't happening.  No aces available.  It's fun to talk about deGrom or Syndergaard or Bumgarner on sports talk radio... but that wasn't going to happen.
2.  I didn't want to give up top prospects for a #2 type guy (which maybe was possible), so I wanted to give up blah prospects for a #3 type guy (like Happ).  Why?  With Montgomery out for the year, and Gray sucking balls... a guy like Happ can help them win the division.  That alone makes him VERY MUCH worth a dolof prospect.

Now even though I wanted Happ, I obviously didn't think he'd be this good.  But anyone who has followed Happ knows he's not bad.  He had a bad month or so... and some gave up on him.  I don't expect Happ to continue to pitch this well, but the trade already looks great.  They desperately needed him.