Yanks Sign Neil Walker
 x 0 x 0
Gonna be honest, I don't get this.  Was fine with Drury, Andujar, Torres, Wade, etc... sharing duties at 2B/3B.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports reports that the Yankees have signed infielder Neil Walker, pending a physical.

According to Jon Heyman of FanRag Sports, it's a one-year deal believed to be worth around $5 million. What a bargain. It was thought that Walker would have to find a deal elsewhere after the Yankees acquired Brandon Drury from the Diamondbacks, but apparently the two sides found common ground. It will be interesting to see how the playing time shakes out, especially with top prospect Gleyber Torres not far off from the majors. However, Walker should be a useful fantasy option as long as the at-bats are there. Walker batted .265/.362/.439 with 14 home runs and 49 RBI in 111 games last season between the Mets and Brewers.
Interetsinmg!
 x 0 x 0
I said I don't get it, but I'm not saying I'm mad about it. Maybe this is a sign they want Torres to get at least a half season of Triple A? Call him up around the All-Star Break? So the $5 mil is basically for a half year of starting, then some utility / backup role?
Interetsinmg!
 x 0 x 0
Walker is the guy I was hoping the Yankees would sign before the got Drury. At 5 million for one year, this is another steal by Cashman.

Walker is a solid 2nd baseman who can also play some first base. He's switch hitter with  most of his power from the left side, which should work well at Yankee Stadium.

A few weeks ago, it looked like the Yankees were set to open the season with two rookie infielders, but that's clearly not going to happen. The odds now are that we'll see Drury at 3rd and Walker at 2nd, while Torres and Andujar open the season at SWB to work on their game a bit more.

I don't believe this means that the Yankees have given up on the kids. It just postpones their arrival by a year at most, and maybe less.

The guy who gets hurt is Tyler Wade, whom I like a lot. My guess is that he's now trade bait. With Walker able to play 1st in a pinch, it also means that Lind will probably won't be part of the roster either. Torreyes? Who knows?
If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
When Moustakas signed a one-year deal with KC at 6.5 million (after turning down a 17.5 million qualifying offer) the handwriting was on the wall for the remaining free agents hoping for big multi-year deals. Walker was said to be looking for something like three years at 50 million, but there was no way he was going to get that after the Moustakas signing.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
The Yankees have so much depth in both the infield and outfield now that it's scary. The only position at which they are potentially vulnerable is catcher, where Romine is not a great backup should Sanchez be hurt for a while.

Starting rotation is another matter. The team could still use another mid-rotation guy, but after shelling out only 5 million for Walker, Cashman still has about 10-12 million for a pitcher, without hitting the luxury tax threshold.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
This is a very good signing.
 x 0 x 0
Don't like it! It's to crowded already!
Game 7

Boone: You know my mama wanted me to be a Manager.

Judge: My dad wanted me to be a baseball player.

Boone: Well you're better than any player I ever had. And you're the best God damn player I ever saw. Suit up.
 x 0 x 0
(03-12-2018, 08:59 PM)bigjeep8 Wrote:  Don't like it! It's to crowded already!

No The NY subway at rush hour is too crowded, not the Yankees infield. We lost three veteran infielders (Headly, T. Frazier and Castro) and for a contender to rely on two rookie infielders out of the gate is asking for trouble, however promising they are.

Neil Walker is a great addition for 1 year at 5 million. As a switch-hitter he gives us another lefty power bat when needed, and he's at least adequate or a bit better defensively. A poplar guy with teammates, he adds depth and stability to the infield and should be good in the clubhouse.

I liked him when he played for the Mets and really wanted the Yankees to sign Walker during the off-season. Just figured he'd be too expensive. And now he just fell into Cashman's lap. We are going to be grateful for this guy before the season is over, just as with T. Frazier last season.

-Yogi Berra