Why not go after a real ace?
 x 0 x 0
I'm still hearing a lot of talk about the Yankees being the main contender for J.A. Happ. But I think my biggest problem with that is Happ is really just another middle-of-rotation starter; and aside from Severino, bottom and middle-of-the-rotation starters are all we seem to have. So you're actually replacing a dog with fleas with a dog with different fleas. Also, Happ would just be a rental for a few months, and I wouldn't give even a single prospect for him.

What we really need is another stud pitcher to pair with Sevvy, and to do that we'd need to open the barn doors on the farm and let all the horses out.

Is there any chance of prying DeGrom or Syndergaard away from the Mets? Probably not, but a package of Frazier, Sheffield, Florial and Andujar might be impossible for a rebuilding team like the Mets to resist. Tyler Norton at Pinstripe Alley makes an interesting case for this.

https://www.pinstripealley.com/2018/7/4/17532524/yankees-trade-deadline-prospects-brian-cashman-pitching-frazier-sheffield-drury

Losing Andujar is the main problem for me, but Drury would be a decent replacement, and DeGrom or Syndergaard would provide another ace that could make us unbeatable in the post-season. There seems to be no room for Frazier on the team, Florial is still a long way away; and Sheffield, though promising, still has major control issues. None of these guys are really indispensable.

If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
I have no problem trading with the Mets. Not sure if this would poison the trade but I'll only do it under the circumstances of them taking on Ellsbury. Of course we'll have to pay majority of his $21 mil, I would be cool with taking on $15 mil (71%) in '19 and '20. He would have to waive his NTC which he should as he wouldn't have to move (NYC) and he goes to a low pressure situation which he may get burn.

Andujar, Florial, Frazier and Ellsbury. No Sheffield. Mets may decline my offer and Ellsbury and Boras may cock block.
Be careful with your words.
Once they are said,
they can only be
forgiven,
not forgotten.
 x 0 x 0
(07-05-2018, 12:24 PM)L.A.D.11 Wrote:  I have no problem trading with the Mets. Not sure if this would poison the trade but I'll only do it under the circumstances of them taking on Ellsbury. Of course we'll have to pay majority of his $21 mil, I would be cool with taking on $15 mil (71%) in '19 and '20. He would have to waive his NTC which he should as he wouldn't have to move (NYC) and he goes to a low pressure situation which he may get burn.

Andujar, Florial, Frazier and Ellsbury. No Sheffield. Mets may decline my offer and Ellsbury and Boras may cock block.

The Mets aren't doing your deal for deGrom, but maybe Syndergaard. But if it's Syndergaard instead of deGrom, I'd hang on to Andujar and include Sheffield. I'd offer Frazier, Sheffield, Florial and maybe one more top 10 prospect. For Jacob deGrom, I'd consider also parting with Andujar, though.
If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else.

-Yogi Berra