Why Trey Burke doesn’t want to think about trade deadline
01-10-2019, 10:04 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
By Marc Berman

It’s tempting, but backup point guard Trey Burke won’t do it. The Knicks are heading toward a second half of oblivion and seeking second-round picks at February’s trade deadline for players brass is unsure about keeping for next season.

The way Burke has been treated, he’s a clear candidate. Burke has returned to being Emmanuel Mudiay’s caddie at point guard, but only after Frank Ntilikina went down in the first quarter in Los Angeles on Friday with a sprained ankle.
The scoring point guard is a free agent after the season with no guarantee he’ll be back despite the Knicks’ uncertain situation at his position.
“You always want to go to the playoffs,’’ Burke told The Post. “It’s something I look at as fool’s gold. It’s an illusion. You can always put yourself in a playoff-team situation. What would it be like if I was with the Lakers? Or with Golden State? You can always do that as a player. It’s not reality until it happens. I try to stay away from it. I know the trade deadline is coming up. It’s a big year for me. If I look at those situations, I lose focus on what’s ahead of me.

“I don’t’ think about it. Some players, they do. You think about the trade deadline, other teams, other opportunities, I lose focus on what’s in front of me with this organization. Everyone knows I want to be a Knick. But I know how the business works.”
Burke, 26, sprained his right MCL on Dec. 1, missed five games and didn’t have a big role when he came back. He also floundered wearing a knee brace and he shot 4-of-23 his first three games back from the knee injury, leading coach David Fizdale to pull him from the rotation.
Burke said the brace — which he recently removed — was a factor.

“The brace coming off makes me feel lighter out there and more myself,’’ Burke said. “I had tights over it. You don’t grow up playing like that. So I’m back to my original look and feel like myself.’’

“It’s important for me to play and be out there with my teammates every game, but, yeah, playing in London would be important, too,” he said. “I don’t know yet, we’re taking it day by day.”

It’s been an chaotic second season for Ntilikina, twice taken out of the rotation in the season’s first half after starting the season’s out of position at shooting guard.
“I learned a lot, I’ve been through a lot of things, some positive some …,” he said, pausing. “ It’s never negative because there’s always things to learn, playing many positions. It’s good for me as a player.”
Game 7

Boone: You know my mama wanted me to be a Manager.

Judge: My dad wanted me to be a baseball player.

Boone: Well you're better than any player I ever had. And you're the best God damn player I ever saw. Suit up.
01-10-2019, 10:06 AM,
RE: Why Trey Burke doesn’t want to think about trade deadline
 x 0  x 0 
Lets stock pile second round picks so we can lose for the next 40 years!      TT-TT
Game 7

Boone: Well you're better than any player I ever had. And you're the best God damn player I ever saw. Suit up.
01-10-2019, 12:11 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
YOU CAN'T QUIT US JEEP :)
New York Knicks: pummeling fans’ hopes and dreams since 2001 
01-10-2019, 12:18 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
Bigjeep doesn't want to trade the next Clyde Frazier?
01-10-2019, 12:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 01:41 PM by damntoni.)
 x 0  x 0 
Most important and understated part of the article is that Frank might get traded.

I trust Berman. He’s heard that Knicks are shopping Frank.

I just hope we can at least get 1 late second round pick for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-10-2019, 03:12 PM,
 x 1  x 0 
Fake news.  Jeep, How do you get a high draft pick and draft a potentially great player? It's easy, you lose 70 games, which is what we are doing.  2nd rounders do not have much value when Donnie Walsh or Phil Jackson are selecting.  But last year we picked up Trier and Mitch, both second rounders or later who have a made an impact.  That's why allowing them to trade decent players for draft picks could be a big win.

It's a hell of a lot better than anything Walsh or Jackson put together.

Plus,we have Porzingis coming back and cap money (max)

Sorry Jeep, but you are wrong on this one!
"Do not correct a fool, or he will hate you; correct a wise man and he will appreciate you." ~PROVERBS 9:8

01-10-2019, 06:18 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-10-2019, 12:18 PM)Blue_Blood16 Wrote:  Bigjeep doesn't want to trade the next Clyde Frazier?

I watched Clyde play from beginning to end, Burke is no Clyde Frazier!

PS - Nor the Pearl!
Game 7

01-10-2019, 06:24 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-10-2019, 03:12 PM)Dr_Pitbull Wrote:  Fake news.  Jeep, How do you get a high draft pick and draft a potentially great player? It's easy, you lose 70 games, which is what we are doing.  2nd rounders do not have much value when Donnie Walsh or Phil Jackson are selecting.  But last year we picked up Trier and Mitch, both second rounders or later who have a made an impact.  That's why allowing them to trade decent players for draft picks could be a big win.

It's a hell of a lot better than anything Walsh or Jackson put together.

Plus,we have Porzingis coming back and cap money (max)

Sorry Jeep, but you are wrong on this one!

I'm not sold on Mitch or Trier yet! They are a long way off if ever. Burke also had some really great games, just not often enough! As far as KP goes, He has yet to prove that he can stay on the court! I see a possible Bargs! Burke could be an instant scorer off the bench! I think the Knicks are going to have a hard time choosing who to keep.  
Game 7

01-10-2019, 06:24 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-10-2019, 06:18 PM)bigjeep8 Wrote:  
(01-10-2019, 12:18 PM)Blue_Blood16 Wrote:  Bigjeep doesn't want to trade the next Clyde Frazier?

I watched Clyde play from beginning to end, Burke is no Clyde Frazier!

PS - Nor the Pearl!

You had some lofty opinions of Mr. Burke when he first started playing last season Jeep.  Grin
01-10-2019, 06:28 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-10-2019, 12:11 PM)OnFire34 Wrote:  YOU CAN'T QUIT US JEEP :)

I get disgusted with this team, but I don't quit! My beloved Yankees keep me going. As far as the Giants, there is hope! As far as the Knicks, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel as some here seem to think. I'd be shocked if some big name player like Durant comes here. His Coach almost made that mistake before someone knocked some sense into him!
Game 7

01-10-2019, 11:05 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2019, 11:06 PM by bigjeep8.)
 x 0  x 0 
(01-10-2019, 06:24 PM)Blue_Blood16 Wrote:  
(01-10-2019, 06:18 PM)bigjeep8 Wrote:  I watched Clyde play from beginning to end, Burke is no Clyde Frazier!

PS - Nor the Pearl!

You had some lofty opinions of Mr. Burke when he first started playing last season Jeep.  Grin

I still would like him on the team next year! He had some good games and can come off the bench for scoring. You are going to need 14 players next year to play with the next max contract that isn't coming here! So we will have Injury prone KP alone with a high draft pick next year? Another 20 game win season? Lets see how many FA's are still out there this summer and want to come to Dolans team? 
Game 7

01-11-2019, 11:48 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
Frank says he’s not ready to return....

I think it’s more that he’s avoiding playing so he’s not healthy enough to be traded.

I’d ship him and his crutches to any team willing to take him for a 2 nd round pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
01-11-2019, 01:18 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
My main criticism on Kanter and Burke is their defense. To me, it is so freaking important.  That does not mean I cut or waive these two, it means I do not want to spend big money on them.  I think Frank compared to Burke is interesting, because they are opposites.  Your choosing of Burke over Frank kind of means you value offense over defense, same with Mitch vs. Kanter.

I want to build a solid defensive team.  

I know the direction the league is going with the threes and 150 point games, but the team that can play defense will be right in the mix.
"Do not correct a fool, or he will hate you; correct a wise man and he will appreciate you." ~PROVERBS 9:8

01-11-2019, 01:35 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-10-2019, 11:05 PM)bigjeep8 Wrote:  
(01-10-2019, 06:24 PM)Blue_Blood16 Wrote:  You had some lofty opinions of Mr. Burke when he first started playing last season Jeep.  Grin

I still would like him on the team next year! He had some good games and can come off the bench for scoring. You are going to need 14 players next year to play with the next max contract that isn't coming here! So we will have Injury prone KP alone with a high draft pick next year? Another 20 game win season? Lets see how many FA's are still out there this summer and want to come to Dolans team? 

The only guys I'd think of bringing back from the vets we have now are Vonleh, Mudiay and maybe Hezonja.  Not sure what they'd get in FA, but I think they could fit in well...especially Vonleh and KP together.
01-11-2019, 02:45 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-11-2019, 01:18 PM)Dr_Pitbull Wrote:  My main criticism on Kanter and Burke is their defense. To me, it is so freaking important.  That does not mean I cut or waive these two, it means I do not want to spend big money on them.  I think Frank compared to Burke is interesting, because they are opposites.  Your choosing of Burke over Frank kind of means you value offense over defense, same with Mitch vs. Kanter.

I know the direction the league is going with the threes and 150 point games, but the team that can play defense will be right in the mix.

In todays 3 point game, defense is dead. You have to out score the other team today. Yes you can hold teams like the Knicks to 80 points because they can't hit the broad side of a barn on most nights. Centers are also not as Important as they once were. Its a 3 point game. 

BTW - For the most part the 3 point game is boring! 
Game 7

01-11-2019, 05:14 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-11-2019, 02:45 PM)bigjeep8 Wrote:  
(01-11-2019, 01:18 PM)Dr_Pitbull Wrote:  My main criticism on Kanter and Burke is their defense. To me, it is so freaking important.  That does not mean I cut or waive these two, it means I do not want to spend big money on them.  I think Frank compared to Burke is interesting, because they are opposites.  Your choosing of Burke over Frank kind of means you value offense over defense, same with Mitch vs. Kanter.

In todays 3 point game, defense is dead. You have to out score the other team today. Yes you can hold teams like the Knicks to 80 points because they can't hit the broad side of a barn on most nights. Centers are also not as Important as they once were. Its a 3 point game. 

All good, but in my opinion, I would run a full court press at these teams and destroy them with defense.  When I coached, thats what we ran and i think it would work today.  Many disagree, but with the right athletes you would overwhelm people.  As far as centers, that is reverting back in my opinion.  The only difference is some are taking threes.

All it takes is one team to win a championship with a center and defense and then everyone would follow suit.

01-11-2019, 11:01 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-11-2019, 05:14 PM)Dr_Pitbull Wrote:  
(01-11-2019, 02:45 PM)bigjeep8 Wrote:  In todays 3 point game, defense is dead. You have to out score the other team today. Yes you can hold teams like the Knicks to 80 points because they can't hit the broad side of a barn on most nights. Centers are also not as Important as they once were. Its a 3 point game. 

All good, but in my opinion, I would run a full court press at these teams and destroy them with defense.  When I coached, thats what we ran and i think it would work today.  Many disagree, but with the right athletes you would overwhelm people.  As far as centers, that is reverting back in my opinion.  The only difference is some are taking threes.

All it takes is one team to win a championship with a center and defense and then everyone would follow suit.

It was the Championship Knicks that made "D" popular back in the day. Few players can play defense all game, it takes a lot of energy. The Knicks would turn the "D" on in the 3rd and we would be on our way home with a 20 - 30 point lead by the 4th! Not ever game, but against teams like the Knicks today and most average teams. If the Knicks held a team under 100 points, you got a free Pizza. Without the 3 point play, it was much better basketball. Very few cheap baskets in those days. Like Clyde always says, most players today can't block out, set a pick or shoot off the dribble. Todays players are millionaires and not willing to hustle except for a few. Melo was a good example! The guy really could score, rebound and play defense WHEN HE WANTED TO. Sadly, not often enough. 
Game 7