Trying out Seafood
 x 0 x 0
So I'm starting a new diet which requires me to include more rations of seafood and chicken....

I've been extremely selective in eating fish... Only have tried: Alaskan Salmon, Cod, Halibut, Ahi, and Yellowfin tuna. Anyone have a unique preference of fish that I have not mentioned??? And if you do, is there a specific way of preparing it??

I'm interested in tilapia, trout, sturgeon, bass, marlin?
Anybody can get past a dog. But NOBODY fucks with a lion.
 x 0 x 0
I was a fisherman by trade once. I do not eat a lot of what I didn't catch.

I love fluke/flounder...but am picky so prepare it however your diet prescribes. I do not like many other fish. Fried shrimp...that's about it.

Had Alaskan king crabs on a BBQ once....couldn't get enough at 30 bucks an ounce or whatever...LOL
VIVA la TANK!!
 x 0 x 0
(01-24-2013, 05:30 AM)Are We There Yet Wrote:  I was a fisherman by trade once. I do not eat a lot of what I didn't catch.

I love fluke/flounder...but am picky so prepare it however your diet prescribes. I do not like many other fish. Fried shrimp...that's about it.

Had Alaskan king crabs on a BBQ once....couldn't get enough at 30 bucks an ounce or whatever...LOL

Sounds like you need some more Alaskan Salmon in your life... flounder though, might have to try it.
 x 0 x 0
Wild Alaskan Salmon is excellent. I particularly love Sockeye Salmon. When fresh and wild like that, you don't need to do much. Just season with salt. Maybe sprinkle some parsley after and a squeeze of lemon juice. I also like to drizzle a little bit of good extra virgin olive oil on top as well. Keep it a little bit pink/medium-rare in the middle. I like to eat it with a side of broccolini (or regular broccoli would also work). I steam the broccolini with the long stems, don't overcook it it's good to have a little bit of crunch. And then after cooking drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, kosher salt pretty liberally and toss it. And for a change of pace, sometimes I'll add a squeeze of lemon to that. I'll serve it with anything from a side of potatoes (mashed or roasted), to wild grain rice (sometimes just use the packets with seasoning), to couscous (which is so simple and quick).

As for other fish, I generally stick to Salmon because of its high Omega-3 content. I'd stick to the ones with higher Omega-3's. Some of the other fish don't have nearly the same amount of health benefits, so that's why I stick to Salmon most. But they are mostly all good. If you like a strong intense fish flavor, try bluefish sometime.

I do also like Rainbow Trout a lot. I order them whole with the skin on but just butterflied. For those I usually season the inside with salt and pepper, sometimes add slices of lemon and sometimes thin slices of garlic too, also fresh herbs like parsley are nice (if lazy or don't have ingredients I'll just stick to salt/pepper). Also drizzle extra virgin olive oil inside. Then I close up the fish and lay it on tin foil and roast in the oven. The only annoying thing is when doing it whole like that you gotta deal with all the bones, which is annoying. But it's such a nice light flavor, very most. Put a lot of salt on the skin side (same with Salmon too when pan roasting).
 x 0 x 0
Fried catfish.

And cheese grits.
 x 0 x 0
Chilean Seabass is the filet mignon of fish.
 x 0 x 0
Eh I'm not that big of fan of Chilean sea bass.

Would rather have some fresh wahoo.

Or some good smoked king. Mmmhmmm.
 x 0 x 0
5ringshowboutU Wrote:Eh I'm not that big of fan of Chilean sea bass.

Would rather have some fresh wahoo.

Or some good smoked king. Mmmhmmm.

To each his own. It is still one of the top
 x 0 x 0
Oh believe me I know its good. Real good infact. Just not for me lol

It' just soooo expensive I could have a black grouper filet, lobster tail, and sides for the price of one csb filet.
 x 0 x 0
Can you find Chilean Sea Bass at a local grocery store or do you have to go to an actual fish market for it??

What is fresh wahoo??

I just had some good ole' tilapia tacos today. Not too bad with the seasoning. Although the fish could have been better.

Deep fried catfish is good... but that's the only way it is good; deep fried
 x 0 x 0
Trying to not go the deep fry route.
 x 0 x 0
I am very partial to fillet of sole (great tasting and boneless), as well as red snapper, bluefish butterfish, and catfish. Salmon is something I eventually got used to as well. But my all time favorite (scaled) fish has to still be monkfish. It is the Lyle Lovett of fish - comically ugly, but when prepared right it is absolutely mouthwatering. It is called poor man's lobster because of its consistency. It's about medium to high in price, but boy is it worth it.

I can't eat bass, trout, ahi, mackerel, swordfish, sardines...any of those. They are far too gamey for me. My thing is generally shellfish like lobster, crab and shrimp and of course oysters but I definitely won't say no to those others I mentioned.
:shy:
Is it too soon to start sweeping legs?
 x 0 x 0
I had stuffed sole today. Pretty good.

And very lightly pan seared bluefin tuna is awesome too. I just can't do sushi lol
 x 0 x 0
I suggest you try the Red Snapper. Heavily doused with wine or beer...dim the lights....put on some Barry White....enjoy.
VIVA la TANK!!
 x 0 x 0
Hahaha red snapper with low lights and a bottle of God's blood. I may have to do that...

I ended up having some nice smoked halibut today.
 x 0 x 0
Dolphin is my fav fish aka mahi-mahi
"Children are tiny versions of us minus the crushing failure"
 x 0 x 0
You can never go wrong with flounder...BBQ Baked or pan fried.... I love it pan fried.... dip it in whole wheat flour and pan fry it.... couple minutes per side... Heaven..

Friday was fish day when I lived in the low state close to the water in North Carolina... Fresh caught that day flounder...

Cous Cous... 4 types of peppers, onions mushrooms and garlic... olive oil salt and pepper

Holy shit.
I might not change the world, but I sure won't ever let it change me. P.S.
 x 0 x 0
DMB

If you like the Omega content... but love the taste of both Salmon and Trout... You need to add arctic Char to your life.

Used to eat them all the time growing up in Canada... They used to be cheap.... It is the perfect balance of taste, and texture... So healthy for you.

http://www.in-fisherman.com/straws-blog/omega-3s-which-fish-are-highest/
I might not change the world, but I sure won't ever let it change me. P.S.