Today's latest rumor
 x 0 x 0
Trade Torres for Manny Machado! I would do that. I don't care that I could wait a year and have both guys.
"HOWEVER, I do believe every negative comment deserves a response, if we so choose." Redtrek
 x 0 x 0
(11-27-2017, 07:06 PM)hustler07 Wrote:  Trade Torres for Manny Machado! I would do that. I don't care that I could wait a year and have both guys.

If this is something you've actually read, please post the link because I haven't seen this 'rumor' anywhere.

If you just made it up, why would you trade a 20 year-old kid who's cost-controlled and rated no lower than #3 on every ML prospect list, for a guy who will command a huge contract next season? Especially when we have not one, but two promising kids who play 3rd--Torres and Andujar.

A trade like this doesn't compute for a team trying to cut payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold. Anyway, I'd sooner spend the money on Harper or Kershaw next summer than Machado. Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball, and a big lefty bat like Harper's would make more sense at Yankee Stadium, especially sandwiched between righties Judge and Sanchez.

And if you really have your heart set on Machado, why not wait another year, since you'll have to pay him the big bucks then anyway? Keep Torres and play him at 2nd. Then trade Castro for a starter.
I never cared if it was in the strike zone. If I could reach it, I could hit it.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
(11-27-2017, 09:52 PM)ancientyankee Wrote:  
(11-27-2017, 07:06 PM)hustler07 Wrote:  Trade Torres for Manny Machado! I would do that. I don't care that I could wait a year and have both guys.

If this is something you've actually read, please post the link because I haven't seen this 'rumor' anywhere.

If you just made it up, why would you trade a 20 year-old kid who's cost-controlled and rated no lower than #3 on every ML prospect list, for a guy who will command a huge contract next season? Especially when we have not one, but two promising kids who play 3rd--Torres and Andujar.

A trade like this doesn't compute for a team trying to cut payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold. Anyway, I'd sooner spend the money on Harper or Kershaw next summer than Machado. Kershaw is the best pitcher in baseball, and a big lefty bat like Harper's would make more sense at Yankee Stadium, especially sandwiched between righties Judge and Sanchez.

And if you really have your heart set on Machado, why not wait another year, since you'll have to pay him the big bucks then anyway? Keep Torres and play him at 2nd. Then trade Castro for a starter.
http://www.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2017/11/mlb_trade_rumors_could_yankees_land_orioles_manny.html

Not much of a legit rumor but until the hot stove gets hot, that's all I got right now. 
"HOWEVER, I do believe every negative comment deserves a response, if we so choose." Redtrek
 x 0 x 0
(11-27-2017, 09:52 PM)ancientyankee Wrote:  

How much will he cost in his final year of current contract? You might want to try and ride him to a championship now at this cost rather than the stupid number next year.
 x 0 x 0
(11-27-2017, 10:37 PM)hustler07 Wrote:  
(11-27-2017, 09:52 PM)ancientyankee Wrote:  If this is something you've actually read, please post the link because I haven't seen this 'rumor' anywhere.

How much will he cost in his final year of current contract? You might want to try and ride him to a championship now at this cost rather than the stupid number next year.

He's not winning us a title. LOL 
Fuck yo tank!
 x 0 x 0
That would be an idiotic trade for the Yankees. I’d be livid.

Cashman has been a great gm the last two years, when I thought he was atrocious prior. This would be an “atrocious cashman” move.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
(12-01-2017, 10:21 PM)sheets316 Wrote:  That would be an idiotic trade for the Yankees.  I’d be livid.

Cashman has been a great gm the last two years, when I thought he was atrocious prior.  This would be an “atrocious cashman” move.

Explain. Here's the reasons why I like it

1. Machado is at the top of his game in the field and at the plate. Imagine a 3,4,5 of Judge Sanchez and Machado(in any order).
2. Machado is only 25
3. The money he'll make this year isn't anywhere near what we'll pay him in 2019.
 x 0 x 0

Not happening!     Serious-business
Game 7

Boone: You know my mama wanted me to be a Manager.

Judge: My dad wanted me to be a baseball player.

Boone: Well you're better than any player I ever had. And you're the best God damn player I ever saw. Suit up.
 x 0 x 0
(12-05-2017, 07:21 PM)bigjeep8 Wrote:  

Not happening!     Serious-business
I know. If they were in different divisions maybe but no way they trade him to us to watch him destroy them 19 times a year
 x 0 x 0
1. Machado is at the top of his game in the field and at the plate. Imagine a 3,4,5 of Judge Sanchez and Machado(in any order).

First off, you're moving Judge out of the 2 hole?  I'd keep him there.  Secondly, sure, I guess I could imagine it... in 2019. (although I doubt I would do that either)

2. Machado is only 25

And Torres is 20.  Your point?

And, btw, because he's 25 yrs old... he probably will get a ~ 10 yr contract.  Maybe even more.  (Stanton got 13 yrs)  I wouldn't want to give him a 10 year deal.  So it's a 1 year rental for the top prospect in baseball, who our GM just said could be our starting 3B on opening day.  It doesn't get any dumber than that.

3. The money he'll make this year isn't anywhere near what we'll pay him in 2019.

So you're admitting to being terribly short-sighted?  This thinking is why I hated how the Yanks were run from 2002 to approximately 2015.... but loved how they were run from the earlier 90's thru 2001, then the last two years.  If you want to get back to that type of team, then we 100% disagree.  The Yanks have an opportunity to be great for the next 5-6 years, WITHOUT BUYING A CHAMPIONSHIP.  And Torres will hopefully be a huge part of that.

Oh, and Machado won't be cheap this year.

Torres is a perfect guy to have on this team, because he can play 3B for us... the only position we truly have a need.  (and Headley's on the last year of his deal, making it even more sense to hold onto Torres)
Da'Ron
 x 1 x 0
3B, SS and 2B, which makes him extra valuable. I would not trade a  kid who isn't even Rule 5 eligible yet for a guy entering his walk year.

Keep Torres and spend that dough to make a play for Harper or Kershaw next year.
I never cared if it was in the strike zone. If I could reach it, I could hit it.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
(12-06-2017, 04:58 PM)ancientyankee Wrote:  3B, SS and 2B, which makes him extra valuable. I would not trade a  kid who isn't even Rule 5 eligible yet for a guy entering his walk year.

Keep Torres and spend that dough to make a play for Harper or Kershaw next year.

Yep, he can play anywhere on the IF.

And if you're patient:  you can have Torres AND Machado or Torres AND Harper.... just one year later.

Not that I think we'll go after Machado when he's a FA, as I hope I'll love the entire IF in 2018.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
(12-06-2017, 01:41 PM)sheets316 Wrote:  1. Machado is at the top of his game in the field and at the plate. Imagine a 3,4,5 of Judge Sanchez and Machado(in any order).

First off, you're moving Judge out of the 2 hole?  I'd keep him there.  Secondly, sure, I guess I could imagine it... in 2019.  (although I doubt I would do that either)

2. Machado is only 25

And, btw, because he's 25 yrs old... he probably will get a ~ 10 yr contract.  Maybe even more.  (Stanton got 13 yrs)  I wouldn't want to give him a 10 year deal.  So it's a 1 year rental for the top prospect in baseball, who our GM just said could be our starting 3B on opening day.  It doesn't get any dumber than that.

So you're admitting to being terribly short-sighted?  This thinking is why I hated how the Yanks were run from 2002 to approximately 2015.... but loved how they were run from the earlier 90's thru 2001, then the last two years.  If you want to get back to that type of team, then we 100% disagree.  The Yanks have an opportunity to be great for the next 5-6 years, WITHOUT BUYING A CHAMPIONSHIP.  And Torres will hopefully be a huge part of that.

Torres is a perfect guy to have on this team, because he can play 3B for us... the only position we truly have a need.  (and Headley's on the last year of his deal, making it even more sense to hold onto Torres)
Throw out the 1 year rental option since you know that they will empty the bank for him. Especially if he helps win a WS. I'm not against thinking of the future but a 25 yr old all star/top of his game type player does not get ruled out because of the last 3 years of his contract. It all boils down to patience. You'd be patient and take both while I wouldn't and take Machado. We were 1 win away from the WS.
 x 0 x 0
(12-06-2017, 05:38 PM)hustler07 Wrote:  
(12-06-2017, 01:41 PM)sheets316 Wrote:  1. Machado is at the top of his game in the field and at the plate. Imagine a 3,4,5 of Judge Sanchez and Machado(in any order).

First off, you're moving Judge out of the 2 hole?  I'd keep him there.  Secondly, sure, I guess I could imagine it... in 2019.  (although I doubt I would do that either)

2. Machado is only 25

Throw out the 1 year rental option since you know that they will empty the bank for him. Especially if he helps win a WS. I'm not against thinking of the future but a 25 yr old all star/top of his game type player does not get ruled out because of the last 3 years of his contract. It all boils down to patience. You'd be patient and take both while I wouldn't and take Machado. We were 1 win away from the WS.

Typo?  Or I'm missing something?
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
As for "we were one game away from the WS"... well I think we can go to the WS in 2018 with Torres. More and more, young players are contributing at a high level. Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I think Torres can be an impact player this year.

And I'm a patient dude. We were patient in the mid-90's. We've been patient the last two years. We know what happened from 1996-2001. It's impossible to predict 4 WS titles in 5 years (might not happen again in my lifetime), but I think we're headed into a pretty exciting 5+ years right now. And Torres is a big part of my excitement. Also a HUGE part of my excitement: lots of $$$$ to spend after the 2018 season. Setting ourselves up perfectly. We can have a cheaper team, with minimal needs... but can spend big time for those minimal needs, and build ourselves a SICK TEAM.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
Harper's left handed-bat, sandwiched between Sanchez and Judge, would be killer. Add Didi and Castro, and maybe Torres and Bird, and we'd have the scariest  lineup in baseball. And if Red Thunder comes along too, forget about it.

The only FA I want more than Harper next winter is Kershaw, and it's a close call between them. But I can't see the Dodgers letting him get away. Imagine a starting rotation featuring Kershaw, Severino and Tanaka, though, especially in the post-season.

-Yogi Berra