Minimal penalties, player development, what is this?
11-10-2019, 09:27 PM,
Minimal penalties, player development, what is this?
 x 0  x 0 
I know most are pissed we won, but can we all admit that Flores and Co have maximized this gutted roster? Maybe we finally found the right head coach? I want Tua or Burrow as much as anyone, but no player succeeds when their coaching staff can't develop or game plan. You could hand Gase Mahomes and he wouldn't even sniff MVP.
11-10-2019, 09:44 PM,
RE: Minimal penalties, player development, what is this?
 x 0  x 1 
I'm glad we won.
"Do or do not, there is no try."- Yoda
"Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!"- John Wayne - True Grit
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy"- Clint Eastwood - Outlaw Josey Wales
11-10-2019, 09:47 PM,
 x 2  x 0 
(11-10-2019, 09:44 PM)kingdolfan3 Wrote:  I'm glad we won.

I'll take "Things that didn't need to be said" for $500 Alex.
11-10-2019, 09:47 PM,
 x 0  x 1 

Dolphins are three games out of a wild card spot
11-10-2019, 10:01 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
Yeah what is this? Is this what a coach being accountable looks like? I can`t remember. How long has it been since Miami has had good coaching? Since Shula and Johnson in the 90`s? What about in the 21st century?
11-10-2019, 10:08 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
The defense played really well, Flores has absolutely put a stamp on this defense as he did in New England

I just hope we make the right picks
11-10-2019, 10:30 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
You know why the Ravens are always competitive, why the Steelers are making trades and competing even after their starter goes down? Culture.

The worst teams have a loser mentality that is hard to shake. Its why the Browns are who they are despite all the talent in the world. Culture.

If Flores is building a winning attitude, its worth having to use some of those picks to trade up and get our guy.
11-10-2019, 10:56 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
This is the twilight zone!
11-10-2019, 10:59 PM,
 x 0  x 1 
(11-10-2019, 10:08 PM)UMFinfan Wrote:  The defense played really well, Flores has absolutely put a stamp on this defense as he did in New England

I just hope we make the right picks
How Scary Would This Defense Be With Chase Young In The Lineup?
"Do or do not, there is no try."- Yoda
"Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!"- John Wayne - True Grit
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy"- Clint Eastwood - Outlaw Josey Wales
11-11-2019, 12:46 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
Sunday, November 10, 2019

Dolphin's turnaround a sign of Brian Flores' coaching promise

By Cameron Wolfe - ESPN.com

INDIANAPOLIS -- As Miami Dolphins coach Brian Flores aggressively clapped as his team made a game-clinching fourth-down stop, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross stood on the sideline smiling. It barely felt real.

The prospect of the Miami Dolphins looking like this, riding the high of a two-game winning streak, was laughable just a month ago. But the Dolphins are the ones laughing now, as they recorded their second consecutive win on Sunday with a gritty 16-12 victory at Indianapolis. They've come a long way in a short time.

It's still about the future for the Dolphins, who hurt their draft stock with every win. The dream of picking quarterback Tua Tagovailoa took a hit Sunday. But two consecutive wins marks a great sign of Brian Flores' coaching promise. This team -- from the players to coaches and everyone in between -- has done a phenomenal job of maximizing its talent.

A perfect example of the turnaround is cornerback Nik Needham, a relatively unknown rookie undrafted free agent who made a huge interception midway through the fourth quarter. Needham went through some significant struggles in preseason, but the team saw his potential and stuck with developing him, and his improvement showed up Sunday with the best game of his young career.

Needham is one of several young defensive backs who stepped up to force three Brian Hoyer interceptions and provide crucial blanket coverage on the end-of-game stop that sealed the victory. Steven Parker, a September waiver claim, and Bobby McCain, a tough, veteran defensive captain, made the other two picks.

Flores has a disciplined, hard-fighting team that doesn't use lack of talent as an excuse. Creative playcalling by offensive coordinator Chad O'Shea is helping Miami's offense look like a different group. The top draft pick might be in danger, but the Dolphins' long-term future is starting to beam with promise.

Pivotal play: Fourth-and-10 from Indianapolis' 16-yard line with 45 seconds left. The Dolphins had lockdown coverage at the sticks. Hoyer found Eric Ebron short of the first down, and Needham -- the game's hero -- made the tackle to finish off the victory.

Promising trend: The Dolphins led at halftime for the fourth consecutive game. It's another sign of their in-season turnaround and proof that this coaching staff is consistently coming up with good early game plans to get ahead. Second-half struggles continue to be a significant issue, but Miami's 10-point lead at halftime was the biggest of the season and a promising trend moving forward.

QB breakdown: Ryan Fitzpatrick wasn't perfect. He threw an interception, and his play dropped off a tad in the second half. But he led the go-ahead field goal drive with toughness, pocket presence and precise accuracy.
Fitzpatrick is the perfect quarterback for this young Dolphins squad, and he's a huge part of this turnaround.
11-11-2019, 12:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2019, 12:50 AM by dhouse82.)
 x 0  x 0 
https://twitter.com/TomKislingbury/status/1192490004347535360

Across all NFL teams so far this season each team has averaged 669 defensive snaps for rookies.
The Dolphins have recorded 1,721.

That's over 2 and a half times as much defensive rookie playing time as the average team.

------

That's prior to today's game.
11-11-2019, 12:55 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
It’s a fucking disgrace. Can’t even tank right!

(My tongue is in my cheek. Mostly)
thegreathoo Wrote:We have not seen better QB play than RT in 2014, therefore, arguably he is better than Marino.

11-11-2019, 12:59 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
It’s kind of an odd situation. Of course you want the best QB possible, and snagging Tua or evening Burrow would be incredible. But if this coaching staff will be able to maximize the talent that it has across the board, and the drafting and FA pickups are more often than not beneficial, then I have renewed faith that we don’t need to draft “the next great thing” at QB. We can be savvy in picking someone that may not be at the top of the board, but will be a good QB that fits our system well.
11-11-2019, 01:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-11-2019, 01:09 AM by dhouse82.)
 x 0  x 0 
(11-11-2019, 12:59 AM)fetznjtown Wrote:  It’s kind of an odd situation. Of course you want the best QB possible, and snagging Tua or evening Burrow would be incredible. But if this coaching staff will be able to maximize the talent that it has across the board, and the drafting and FA pickups are more often than not beneficial, then I have renewed faith that we don’t need to draft “the next great thing” at QB. We can be savvy in picking someone that may not be at the top of the board, but will be a good QB that fits our system well.

I want Tua or Burrow as much as everyone else, but I sure didn't want to see this team get butt fucked for 16 weeks and go down as the most inept team in NFL history. What would that say about Flores, this organization, and the players on the roster? Shit I wouldn't want to come here if we were as bad for 16 weeks as we were that first month.

I'm not calling Flores a HOF coach or anything, but if you offered me Belichick or Brady for 20 years I'm taking Belichick every fucking time.
11-11-2019, 01:13 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
(11-11-2019, 01:08 AM)dhouse82 Wrote:  
(11-11-2019, 12:59 AM)fetznjtown Wrote:  It’s kind of an odd situation. Of course you want the best QB possible, and snagging Tua or evening Burrow would be incredible. But if this coaching staff will be able to maximize the talent that it has across the board, and the drafting and FA pickups are more often than not beneficial, then I have renewed faith that we don’t need to draft “the next great thing” at QB. We can be savvy in picking someone that may not be at the top of the board, but will be a good QB that fits our system well.

I want Tua or Burrow as much as everyone else, but I sure didn't want to see this team get butt fucked for 16 weeks and go down as the most inept team in NFL history. What would that say about Flores, this organization, and the players on the roster? Shit I wouldn't want to come here if we were as bad for 16 weeks as we were that first month.

I'm not calling Flores a HOF coach or anything, but if you offered me Belichick or Brady for 20 years I'm taking Belichick every fucking time.

Hahahahaha “butt fucked.”

It’s tough to argue your point. If given a choice, I’d take organizational stability and solid scouting/evaluation/coaching/drafting over drafting a QB that has the POTENTIAL to be great. And like you said, that doesn’t mean I don’t want Tua or Burrow. If anything, it may make it easier to use some of the draft capital that we’ve acquired to trade up if needed. Losing a pick or two won’t sting as much if the organization utilizes the draft picks that remain well.
11-11-2019, 02:06 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
(11-10-2019, 09:47 PM)Shmendal Wrote:  

Dolphins are three games out of a wild card spot

Sorry Shmen.... Do not feed KD
11-11-2019, 02:07 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
This whole fucking thing makes me want to puke.
11-11-2019, 12:40 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(11-11-2019, 02:07 AM)Etrius24 Wrote:  This whole fucking thing makes me want to puke.

The sad sack QB threads are elsewhere, this thread is about the coaching staff.
11-11-2019, 01:15 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
You Have to Pick One: Brian Flores or Tua Tagovailoa

The data of new coaching hires from the last 15 years does not bode well for the Tank For Tua hive

Hiring a new Head Coach is the result of a plan gone awry. Sure, by the end of the imminently departed coach’s tenure, the fan base is ready to help him pack, but it’s always an az-5 option (a last ditch effort, for those that haven’t seen HBO’s Chernobyl).

Brian Flores has been a breath of fresh air in Miami, but the numbers are stacked against he and his new staff; any new staff, truthfully. Only 33.9% of new coaching hires — since 2004 — have kept said job for five or more years (discounting coaches hired in the last four years since the data isn’t complete).

The Dolphins alone are 0-for-5 in this regard.

Brian Flores is the 10th Dolphins Head Coach this century. Mandatory Credit: Steve Mitchell-USA TODAY Sports
Of the 82 coaching hires since 2004, only 21 coached for a half-decade or more. Of those 21 coaches, only six have hoisted a Lombardi Trophy.

Expectations for Flores and the Dolphins are at an all-time low in 2019. Tanking, or otherwise, the results of first-time head coaches are usually quite poor. Those 82 new coaches have posted a cumulative record of 677-913-1 (.426) in their first season.

Only 37.8% (31-out-of-82) of coaches in this study registered winning career-marks with their respective organizations. One-and-done coaches make up 12.2% of new coaching hires since 2004 (10-out-of-82).
The good news, championships are prevalent among this group. Eight of the 82 coaches have won Super Bowls (nine in total when counting Tom Coughlin’s two rings). Essentially, new coaching hires this century are either strikeouts or homeruns.

The primary basis for this study was to figure out what Brian Flores’ odds are of surviving a last-place finish in 2019. A lot of pundits, and fans, are pulling for the Dolphins to strikeout this season in order to secure Alabama’s Tua Tagovailoa, but that will likely come at a cost.

Four coaches have retained their jobs after earning the number-one pick in the draft. Hue Jackson did it twice with the Browns, Lovie Smith with the Bucs, Steve Spagnuolo with the Rams and Jim Schwartz with the Lions.
The combined record post-number-one-pick for those four coaches was 44-91-1 (.326).

You won’t find many folks that are against the idea of Tagovailoa bringing his talents to South Beach, but the history tells us that if that’s the case, Brian Flores likely isn’t the man for the job. And while Flores could certainly survive a disaster season, the data tells us that coaches last-place-finishers aren’t worth retaining.

The last head coach to finish last, retain his job, and go on to win a Super Bowl was Jimmy Johnson.
That was 30 years ago.

It’s [highly likely] that you have to choose one or the other between Flores and Tagovailoa.

@WingfieldNFL
11-11-2019, 01:32 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
and while you think about that article, think about this.

Players talk. We talk about free agents and how much cap space we have. Well money being equal where would you rather go? To a team that go embarrassed all year and went winless, or the team that came together and fought tooth and nail despite being over matched talentwise?

Yeah players are going to follow the money in most situations, but coveted free agents will receive offers from many teams. A word from a player about the quality of our coaching staff could mean signing a guy or watching them go somewhere else.