Lets Make A Deal!
08-14-2019, 12:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2019, 12:02 AM by kingdolfan3.)
Lets Make A Deal!
 x 0  x 0 
Dolphins have shown interest in Washington OT Trent Williams
By Josh Houtz@houtz Aug 13, 2019, 9:30pm EDT

https://www.thephinsider.com/2019/8/13/20804795/miami-dolphins-have-shown-interest-in-washington-redskins-offensive-tackle-trent-williams

With uncertainty on the offensive line, could Chris Grier make a trade to acquire the All-Pro Tackle

Over the last 24 hours, the Dolphins have been linked to Pro Bowl OLB Jadeveon Clowney.

But as we reported earlier today, a trade is highly unlikely.

After all, Clowney is seeking a long-term deal and no team can extend the 26-year old pass rusher, until the end of the regular season.

However, as we learned a short time ago, Clowney isn’t the only prolific name on Chris Grier’s radar.

According to ESPN’s Jenna Laine, the Dolphins have expressed interest in Washington offensive lineman, Trent Williams.

JennaLaineESPN @JennaLaineESPN
With the Dolphins in town for joint practices with the Bucs, it’s worth mentioning — a source tells me the Dolphins reached out about Trent Williams...
https://twitter.com/adamschefter/status/1161089476975874051 …

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter
Washington has told multiple teams this summer it is not trading 7-time Pro Bowl OT Trent Williams, per sources.

Williams has held out of camp, but Washington hasn’t flinched.

Teams repeatedly have called about Williams, teams have inquired, and so far, teams have been rebuffed.
10:32 PM - Aug 12, 2019

Williams, 31, is seeking a long-term deal this offseason.

Whether or not the two sides can agree to trade compensation, in addition to a new deal, is very unlikely.

Nevertheless, the Dolphins do have thirteen draft picks in 2020.

And once the dead money is cleared off the books, Miami will have a ton of cap space to add assets to a team devoid of talent

There’s also the hurdle of working out an agreement with Washington.

Who have said several times this offseason, that they would not trade the 7 time Pro Bowler.

How this all unfolds is yet to be determined.

But Grier is doing his due diligence, and that’s all you can really ask.

Williams would immediately start at right tackle, and coupled with Tunsil, would make one of the best bookends in all of football.

The trade would make fans, and the Dolphins’ QBs- very happy!
"Do or do not, there is no try."- Yoda
"Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!"- John Wayne - True Grit
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy"- Clint Eastwood - Outlaw Josey Wales
08-14-2019, 09:30 AM,
RE: Lets Make A Deal!
 x 0  x 0 
So they traded Quinn and let James sign elsewhere so that they can give up draft picks and pay a boat load to clowney and Williams?
08-14-2019, 12:24 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
If we could get Williams for a 3rd I wouldn't hate it. He's better than James ever was. We need to do something because the Bills and Jets Dlines are going to destroy us.
08-14-2019, 12:36 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 12:24 PM)dhouse82 Wrote:  If we could get Williams for a 3rd I wouldn't hate it. He's better than James ever was. We need to do something because the Bills and Jets Dlines are going to destroy us.

Its going to come with a monster contract too and theyre going to have to pony up to resign Tunsil after his fifth year option next season. I'm not for shelling out $30M a year to fill the tackle spots...
08-14-2019, 04:27 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 12:36 PM)Shmendal Wrote:  
(08-14-2019, 12:24 PM)dhouse82 Wrote:  If we could get Williams for a 3rd I wouldn't hate it. He's better than James ever was. We need to do something because the Bills and Jets Dlines are going to destroy us.

Its going to come with a monster contract too and theyre going to have to pony up to resign Tunsil after his fifth year option next season. I'm not for shelling out $30M a year to fill the tackle spots...
The argument is we have 120 mill to spend.

oline is by far our biggest weakness.

if u won't spend it oline where are you going to spend the money? u eventually have to use it on someone?

if we don't have an oline cuz we wanna be frugal we can't evaluate our QBs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
08-14-2019, 04:39 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
This is all smoke and/or staging for next year. I never thought we were in for clowney this year. It goes against everything we have done contract wise.

As for a higher priced o lineman? I can see it more b/c our oline is trash once again. I'm so desperate, I'd take t-rex back.
"Children are tiny versions of us minus the crushing failure"
08-14-2019, 05:11 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 04:27 PM)nategonzalez79 Wrote:  if u won't spend it oline where are you going to spend the money? u eventually have to use it on someone?

it shouldn't take first round picks and record contracts to put together a decent offensive line.

there are positions where first round picks and a good deal of cap space should tend to, I don't think that offensive line is there. that said, I expect Miami to spend a boatload on Tunsil to keep him after his fifth year option next season...
08-14-2019, 05:17 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
You have been pounding that drum for years. I think you pay to keep Smokey b/c he is elite and I'm okay with using high draft picks for o line a lot more than I am overpaying FAs. At the end of the day though, I think where we differ is I think you do whatever it takes to have a strong o line.

It's something we have sucked at for a lot of years. It would be great if our new coaching staff can coach them up to be steady but right now, they look like complete dog shit. I'm expecting 5 sacks next preseason game.
08-14-2019, 05:25 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 05:17 PM)Litefghtr Wrote:  You have been pounding that drum for years.  I think you pay to keep Smokey b/c he is elite and I'm okay with using high draft picks for o line a lot more than I am overpaying FAs.  At the end of the day though, I think where we differ is I think you do whatever it takes to have a strong o line.

It's something we have sucked at for a lot of years.  It would be great if our new coaching staff can coach them up to be steady but right now, they look like complete dog shit.  I'm expecting 5 sacks next preseason game.

If it's not the coaching staff being able to make them professional offensive lineman, than its the front office for not being able to bring the right guys in. They haven't hit on nearly enough mid to late round draft picks to give themselves the flexibility to be using those early picks on o-linemen instead of positions where those assets should be spent. 

And I say that with this franchise having used as many first round picks on offensive lineman as any other franchise for the last decade plus now...

Vernon Carey
Jake Long
Mike Pouncey
Juwaan James
Leremy Tunsil

Hell, even with just the amount of day two draft picks they've used over that same time span, they have ZERO excuse for their offensive line woes for as long as they've had them:

Samson Satele
John Jerry
Jonathan Martin
Dallas Thomas
Billy Turner 
Jamil Douglas
Michael Deiter
08-14-2019, 05:33 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
I would be more angry at the day 2 draft picks.

Those day 1 picks aren't bad. We were smart to not pay James the high price but that doesn't mean he's not a very good RT. Long was elite but def dropped off bc of injury and even dummy pouncey played elite. Our problem is overpaying long contracts that you can't get out of.
08-14-2019, 05:53 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-14-2019, 05:55 PM by Shmendal.)
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 05:33 PM)Litefghtr Wrote:  I would be more angry at the day 2 draft picks.

Those day 1 picks aren't bad. We were smart to not pay James the high price but that doesn't mean he's not a very good RT.  Long was elite but def dropped off bc of injury and even dummy pouncey played elite.  Our problem is overpaying long contracts that you can't get out of.

You draft a player that early, in the first round, with the hopes that he is going to play his entire career with your organization. You know that a first round draft pick, if he pans out, is going to ask for a shit ton of money after his rookie contract expires and he is in the prime of his career. 

This is part of why I don't like using first round draft picks on offensive lineman. I'm good paying Xavien Howard money when he proves to be a worth while #1 CB, I'm good spending a ton on a QB who warranted his first round selected (NOT Tannehill), I'm good spending on a top defensive end. Those are places you spend big money to keep players long term in their prime, not offensive line.

My issue with those first round offensive lineman selected isn't from a talent perspective, Jake Long could have been a hall of fame Left Tackle for the Miami Dolphins, but it means shit when he is blocking for Chad fucking Henne. Spend the first round pick on the franchise quarterback, know how to evaluate offensive line talent and obtain in a smarter fashion...
08-14-2019, 05:58 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 05:11 PM)Shmendal Wrote:  
(08-14-2019, 04:27 PM)nategonzalez79 Wrote:  if u won't spend it oline where are you going to spend the money? u eventually have to use it on someone?

it shouldn't take first round picks and record contracts to put together a decent offensive line.

there are positions where first round picks and a good deal of cap space should tend to, I don't think that offensive line is there. that said, I expect Miami to spend a boatload on Tunsil to keep him after his fifth year option next season...
I agree it shouldn't.

but do u just continue to sit back and hope we can find decent guys in mid rounds or off the street? even when we've proven for years we can't ?

do u hope n pray it gets better and just sit on 120 mill?

in a perfect world we can find a gem here n there n have a decent line, but that's not the case.

I say if we have the money, n our line blows let's use the money on positions that we have proven we can't draft good at

08-14-2019, 06:02 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 05:58 PM)nategonzalez79 Wrote:  in a perfect world we can find a gem here n there n have a decent line, but that's not the case. 
Good franchises can, if you want to have Grier throw money and top resources that should go elsewhere at the problem, you're excusing the incompetence of this front office..
08-14-2019, 06:06 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 06:02 PM)Shmendal Wrote:  
(08-14-2019, 05:58 PM)nategonzalez79 Wrote:  in a perfect world we can find a gem here n there n have a decent line, but that's not the case. 
Good franchises can, if you want to have Grier throw money and top resources that should go elsewhere at the problem, you're excusing the incompetence of this front office..
it's not excusing, it's accepting what the facts are.

my question you haven't answered still remains.

we have to spend most of the 120 mill.
You refuse to spend on oline right? ok.

so where are you spending?

can't be QB.
won't be RB
won't be WR
doubt it'll be TE.

maybe a pass rusher next year (my target)
LB? not if baker n micmillion improve
CB ? yes a #2 corner I would
S? possible with Jones n TJ gone soon.

so where are u spending 120 mill with refusal to use it on our biggest weakness?

08-14-2019, 06:10 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
As much as I would love to have Clowney and Williams... It means we never get Tua and or Lawrence

If we pony up for these guys we decimate our pile of draft picks and... We improve the team enough that we never get a top 5 draft pick for the next couple seasons.

If Rosen is legit.. We could do it and transform this team overnight.

We have three above average wideouts in Stills, Wilson, Parker. Gator is a nice wrinkle as the 4th wideout.. Williams is going to be special. We have depth at the running back position with Ballage and Drake. So the skill positions on offense are well stacked.

Shoring up the right side of the line would give those skill players a chance to shine.

Adding clowney up front would really transform our defense also. We would still be one cornerback away from being complete... But hopefully they can coach someone up to not suck...

If I thought I could trade Stills and get anything for him... I would go ahead and make these moves... Hopefully you swap out draft picks trading away stills and trading for Williams.... We likely would have to give the texans a steep price for Clowney... His contract demands might help ease that asking price a little.

This time next year the hope would be we have a top corner we drafted.. Rosen showing he is capable of being a franchise QB... Williams looking like a julio jones type of receiver wilkins looking like someone you can count on up front for a decade.

It sucks not getting Tua or Lawrence. If we are winning and have a shot a meaningful playoff wins... I am okay with it.
I might not change the world, but I sure won't ever let it change me. P.S.
08-14-2019, 06:21 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 06:06 PM)nategonzalez79 Wrote:  we have to spend most of the 120 mill.

can't be QB.
won't be RB
won't be WR
doubt it'll be TE.

so where are u spending 120 mill with refusal to use it on our biggest weakness?

Who does Miami have already in house with $120M available? How much is it going to cost to keep Tunsil long term? 

- Yes, #2 CB is a MUST and a position I'm good spending on, hell, they have McCain $8M a season
- Not sold on LBs, Kiko either plays well or drives me nuts week to week, more of the latter last year. Baker and McMillan would need to show me a good deal to move me from wanting to spend on a LB next offseason
- Charles Harris may be their best current DE and he's shown NOTHING at the NFL level. Defensive End is a position you can spend on.
- Between Jones, Fitzpatrick and McDonald, I expect TWO of those Safety options to be around
- Is Fitzpatrick/Rosen going to be the QB situation NEXT season too? 

Right now, Spotrac has Daryl Williams, a FA Tackle in 2020, with a market value of just under $8M, I'm good signing him to a 5 year/$40M deal. 
See what La'el Collins is asking for, but it was dumb for Miami to not bring him in given how high reward he has been in Dallas. 
Michael Schofield is making $2.5M to start for a capable o-line in LA for the Chargers, bring him in, I wanted Miami taking him in the third round years ago, could have solved a Guard position since 2014.
I'm hoping that at least ONE of Dieter or Prince show something this season, but Trey Hopkins will be a FA Guard who shouldn't cost a boat load.

What are you realistic expectations of FA offensive lineman, what they want and who you'd be willing to spend on?
08-14-2019, 09:19 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 12:36 PM)Shmendal Wrote:  

Exactly!! This is stupid!!!

I don’t want Trent Williams! Unreal, don’t this guy have a brain disease or something. WHY ARE WE THINKING WE CAN WIN THE SB?!?!?!?!?

I’m almost done right this team, freakin idiots run by CLOWNS!!!!!!! “Rosen is our QB of the future” IDIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!
I contain unprepared crude & raw humor

Amat Victoria Praeparatio
08-14-2019, 09:26 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
If this team gets LAZY FUCKIN Clowney I’m that much closer to being done with them!!!

Are we just trying to screw this franchise?!?!?!? I’ve been tonTexans TC several times, this guy is lazy and takes more plays off than makes them, EXACTLY why the Texans are trying to get rid of him!!! Lazy, flat out lazy!!!!!!
I contain unprepared crude & raw humor

Amat Victoria Praeparatio
08-14-2019, 10:21 PM,
Lets Make A Deal!
 x 0  x 0 
Clowney was just a test the waters for next yr
08-15-2019, 12:06 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
(08-14-2019, 06:21 PM)Shmendal Wrote:  
(08-14-2019, 06:06 PM)nategonzalez79 Wrote:  we have to spend most of the 120 mill.

can't be QB.
won't be RB
won't be WR
doubt it'll be TE.

Who does Miami have already in house with $120M available? How much is it going to cost to keep Tunsil long term? 

- Yes, #2 CB is a MUST and a position I'm good spending on, hell, they have McCain $8M a season
- Not sold on LBs, Kiko either plays well or drives me nuts week to week, more of the latter last year. Baker and McMillan would need to show me a good deal to move me from wanting to spend on a LB next offseason
- Charles Harris may be their best current DE and he's shown NOTHING at the NFL level. Defensive End is a position you can spend on.
- Between Jones, Fitzpatrick and McDonald, I expect TWO of those Safety options to be around
- Is Fitzpatrick/Rosen going to be the QB situation NEXT season too? 

Right now, Spotrac has Daryl Williams, a FA Tackle in 2020, with a market value of just under $8M, I'm good signing him to a 5 year/$40M deal. 
See what La'el Collins is asking for, but it was dumb for Miami to not bring him in given how high reward he has been in Dallas. 
Michael Schofield is making $2.5M to start for a capable o-line in LA for the Chargers, bring him in, I wanted Miami taking him in the third round years ago, could have solved a Guard position since 2014.
I'm hoping that at least ONE of Dieter or Prince show something this season, but Trey Hopkins will be a FA Guard who shouldn't cost a boat load.

What are you realistic expectations of FA offensive lineman, what they want and who you'd be willing to spend on?
that was a good response schmen. not opposed to your plan.

for me? I haven't checked who's available next year for oline, but this would be my plan.

if we pick #1 I roll with Tua

in FA I pay big bucks for a pass rusher

I also pay what's needed for a top tier RT. 12 mill a year if needed.

I go out and pay for a guard also. 8-10 mill.

I resign Tunsil probably 16 mill a year. (I'm not sure what the tackles make but he will be the highest paid)

I go out n try to find a mid tier #2 CB Claiborne type guy.

draft wise,

after Tua, with our 2 seconds I grab a center and a pass rusher.

two thirds I go CB and S

two fourths I go guard and WR.

two fifths I go RB and LB

two sixths I go DT and OT.

but I attack the oline heavy in FA. especially if we have Tua. I'm not gonna fuck him up with a shit oline.