How confident are you with JD and his scouting team?
 x 0 x 0
Cause this year draft is only going with what they saw from the combine, Senior Bowl, talking to their college coaches and watching loads of film. Usually month of March and April they have time to see players at pro day, do medical checks and more 1-1 time. 
Jesus Christ himself has blessed me with many gifts, one of them is knocking someone the fuck out!
 x 1 x 0
Maybe it leaves them WITHOUT the chance to over think?
I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees!
 x 2 x 0
(03-26-2020, 10:54 PM)Airbornemedic68 Wrote:  Maybe it leaves them WITHOUT the chance to over think?

In that case it might be a historically great draft for the Jets.
Heart 
 x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 09:07 AM)jetsfansince68 Wrote:  
(03-26-2020, 10:54 PM)Airbornemedic68 Wrote:  Maybe it leaves them WITHOUT the chance to over think?

In that case it might be a historically great draft for the Jets.

Exactly lol

I was thinking it will hurt the GMs with great track record and that could help us by default 

Maybe it is Coronavirus that turns the history of Jets

Runaway....let's see the video from your pastor again and look for the hidden message?
Darnold: Jets  qb 2018-2035. 6 time SB champ, 6 time SB MVP, 9 time NFL MVP, 12 time first team ALL PRO, HOF class of 2040.
 x 0 x 0
I'm still feeling good about JD, and this FA period has done nothing to dissuade me. I look forward to the draft and like some jokingly said above, the lack of contact here may actually be a positive for us.

1. Can the guy play? That's all that should matter. Anything off the field, or his lack of maturity, off field behavior, his mother is a prostitute, yada yada yada, just becomes white noise that will bite us in the ass.
2. Look at the tape.
3. Ask again, "Can he play?"
4. Take the best players despite character.
5. Win games.
6. Profit.
If you choose to pull the trigger,
should your drama prove sincere.
Do it somewhere far away from here.

x 0 x 0
Character matters but the trick is like in all things draft related what you did in the past doesn't matter nearly as much as what you'll do as a pro.

So a kid in college that's had some trouble... maybe he's learned his lesson and will be a much better person going forward. And maybe the kid with the stellar record just hasn't gotten caught yet.

Same with talent. A kid that dominates in college may have peaked and won't get any better. And a kid that was just ok in college, will continue to improve in the NFL. See Tom Brady.

So the draft is part predicting the future and that's what makes it so tough and uncertain.
 x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 11:39 AM)jetsfansince68 Wrote:  Character matters but the trick is like in all things draft related what you did in the past doesn't matter nearly as much as what you'll do as a pro.

So a kid in college that's had some trouble... maybe he's learned his lesson and will be a much better person going forward. And maybe the kid with the stellar record just hasn't gotten caught yet.

Same with talent. A kid that dominates in college may have peaked and won't get any better. And a kid that was just ok in college, will continue to improve in the NFL. See Tom Brady.

So the draft is part predicting the future and that's what makes it so tough and uncertain.

Then my argument, which I stated above is to simplify the decision making process and just worry about "Can the guy play?"

If we are debating between bad behavior in the past or potential bad behavior in the future, what difference does it really make.

P.S. I'm not saying you don't draft good, clean, hard working players first.  They should be at the top of the board, if all things being equal with their level of play.  But that's just me.  I want talent.  I'll take the risk of the player flaking out or being suspended.  Others, understandably will not.  
If you choose to pull the trigger,
should your drama prove sincere.
Do it somewhere far away from here.

x 1 x 0
I have no idea how good JD will be with the draft. Like everyone, I'm simply hoping for the best.

Really hated him with FA, but the only defense of this sorta bizarre off-season... he's setting up for a very aggressive 2021 FA.
Etrius on Kavanaugh 9/19/18:  "Now he is saying he was there... Something happened and it was just rough sexual horse play."
 x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 01:12 PM)Signal20 Jet Wrote:  
(03-27-2020, 11:39 AM)jetsfansince68 Wrote:  Character matters but the trick is like in all things draft related what you did in the past doesn't matter nearly as much as what you'll do as a pro.

Then my argument, which I stated above is to simplify the decision making process and just worry about "Can the guy play?"

If we are debating between bad behavior in the past or potential bad behavior in the future, what difference does it really make.

P.S. I'm not saying you don't draft good, clean, hard working players first.  They should be at the top of the board, if all things being equal with their level of play.  But that's just me.  I want talent.  I'll take the risk of the player flaking out or being suspended.  Others, understandably will not.  

I agree with you to a point. If a guy has crazy bad behavior then you should probably avoid. But one incident is something I could ignore.

To me I would be most concerned about a guys work ethic vs perhaps some bad behavior. Usually college nonsense goes away with maturity. But a bad work ethic means a great player probably has peaked.
 x 0 x 0
the behavioral and character stuff isn't JUST about getting in trouble. You want a guy that's going to work their fucking ass off. And maybe it's stereotypical to think that an idiot and a clown always getting into trouble is less likely to work their ass off than a good character guy, but until I see research saying otherwise, I think it's a good conclusion. You guys are missing that importance when taking that into account.
"I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things"

"Look at my African-American over here. Look at him, are you the greatest?"
 x 0 x 0
They really got to look at wonderlic score. Yeah there are few exceptions - but we don't need to take those risks. Get smart guys, get guys without troubled past, and get guys without any history of injury. That should be starting point before even getting to skill set.
It is what it is.
 x 1 x 0
On a scale of 1-10, my confidence is about a 4 right now.

Between the Jets history in general and the fact that he's already made some head scratching decisions over the past two seasons with FA and the kicker situation, it's really hard to be confident he'll go into the draft and do an awesome job.

If his reputation wasn't so unanimously praised prior to us hiring him, I'd probably place that even lower. But I'll hold out hope that his reputation comes from some place legitimate, and maybe he does have a real eye for talent and will draft well. But I'm certainly not going to be placing any bets on it after this FA.
"Joe Montana was ok... Geddy Lee was an average bass player...Neil Pert couldn't carry Dave Grohl's drumsticks" - Words of wisdom from (minor prophet) Etrius24 --- Added proverbs for 2014: "Rocky was watchable"
 x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 04:37 PM)moonlitegram Wrote:  On a scale of 1-10, my confidence is about a 4 right now.  

Between the Jets history in general and the fact that he's already made some head scratching decisions over the past two seasons with FA and the kicker situation, it's really hard to be confident he'll go into the draft and do an awesome job.  

If his reputation wasn't so unanimously praised prior to us hiring him, I'd probably place that even lower. But I'll hold out hope that his reputation comes from some place legitimate, and maybe he does have a real eye for talent and will draft well.  But I'm certainly not going to be placing any bets on it after this FA.
Past 2 seasons? He's not even on the  books for a calendar year yet. 
The time to turn this franchise around is now! Let's go JD!
 x 0 x 0
nypost.com/2020/02/25/joe-douglas-background-shows-what-jets-makeover-could-be/

His Ozzie background might end up being a good thing long term or complete fail(another example of somebody trying to emulate somebody and failing)

We'll see

Right now today I am just at bla

Not really leaning as he has sucked nor he is just being smart.....just bla

I think some have tended to act like to world is ending sometimes in the start of these things and some the other way

On paper Fant deal just looks bad......Could end up that way for sure.....let's hope his other moves end up ones we say were good to brilliant

I am not down as much on 1 year deals depending what he does next year (which a year from now I can feel like WTF he did) but I wish he gave Perriman more than one years....I really like his potential
Darnold: Jets  qb 2018-2035. 6 time SB champ, 6 time SB MVP, 9 time NFL MVP, 12 time first team ALL PRO, HOF class of 2040.
 x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 04:37 PM)moonlitegram Wrote:  On a scale of 1-10, my confidence is about a 4 right now.  

If his reputation wasn't so unanimously praised prior to us hiring him, I'd probably place that even lower. But I'll hold out hope that his reputation comes from some place legitimate, and maybe he does have a real eye for talent and will draft well.  But I'm certainly not going to be placing any bets on it after this FA.

So if you're taking Jets history into account, does that mean your confidence only started at a 7 or 8?

Not arguing, solely curious.

My number might be higher, although more like "not sure" than a specific number, but I agree with you in general regarding decisions prior to last year were already starting to be head scratching.
"I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things"

x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 04:43 PM)hustler07 Wrote:  

Past 2 seasons? He's not even on the  books for a calendar year yet. 

Moon gave specifics though, he's talked about what he did after he took over.  Not a ton of moves, and not a lot to go on, but there some bad move/head scratching ones.

x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 04:48 PM)dmb88886 Wrote:  
(03-27-2020, 04:43 PM)hustler07 Wrote:  Past 2 seasons? He's not even on the  books for a calendar year yet. 

Moon gave specifics though, he's talked about what he did after he took over.  Not a ton of moves, and not a lot to go on, but there some bad move/head scratching ones.
I wonder where we'd be today if he was hired before FA and the draft last year. 
The time to turn this franchise around is now! Let's go JD!
 x 0 x 0
I like that Douglas is at least attempting the obvious moves, WR OL and LB. These are all weak spots. In the past our GMs would have been going after defensive tackles and safeties. So we are ahead of the game in that respect.

So his moves are at least based in logic. He hasn't brought in any world changers, but who knows maybe the Fant move was genius? (I doubt it).

But Van Roten was good Perriman was good McGovern was good. These are all defend-able moves. Normally by now we would have 3 or 4 fire Douglas threads. I think there's only been one. So he's doing ok.

I'll give him a C+ so far. At least he has shown he knows where the problems are. That's a huge step up from the last couple of GM's
 x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 04:50 PM)hustler07 Wrote:  
(03-27-2020, 04:48 PM)dmb88886 Wrote:  Moon gave specifics though, he's talked about what he did after he took over.  Not a ton of moves, and not a lot to go on, but there some bad move/head scratching ones.
I wonder where we'd be today if he was hired before FA and the draft last year. 

We'll never know (obviously).  But I'd imagine, draft-aside, there would be a lot of similar aspects in the sense of he had a lot of money this free agency.  He just would have started the Oline rebuilding a year ago.  My best guess is that instead of drafting QWill he would have traded back if possible (although we may not have been able to and Big Mac might have tried to as well).  I don't imagine he would have reached that high up for Jonah Williams but who knows?

The Eagles traded up for Andre Dillard last season, so maybe he would have traded back and tried to grab him in the teens?  

I still suspect that Douglas is/will be MUCH better than Big Mac.  But that's not saying much.  I think at a minimum he'll be less damaging.

x 0 x 0
(03-27-2020, 04:54 PM)jetsfansince68 Wrote:  I like that Douglas is at least attempting the obvious moves, WR OL and LB. These are all weak spots. In the past our GMs would have been going after defensive tackles and safeties. So we are ahead of the game in that respect.

So his moves are at least based in logic. He hasn't brought in any world changers, but who knows maybe the Fant move was genius? (I doubt it).

But Van Roten was good Perriman was good McGovern was good. These are all defend-able moves. Normally by now we would have 3 or 4 fire Douglas threads. I think there's only been one. So he's doing ok.

I'll give him a C+ so far. At least he has shown he knows where the problems are. That's a huge step up from the last couple of GM's

Sorry to nitpick, but LB?  Do you mean edge rusher or ILB?  And which guys we talking?

Normally by now we would have 3 or 4 fire Douglas threads.

To be fair, most posters here LOVED Big Mac's first free agency with us.  Not me, I hated it, but I was fairly alone, most people on here were destroying me for being negative about the moves that I was.

So people were higher on Big Mac's first free agency than Douglas' by a pretty wide margin.  Hopefully that's not a sign that he's worse than Big Mac and more a sign of Jets fans being wrong early!

I think the C-range is fair.  I might be more in the low/mid C than a +.  Without putting much thought into it, I don't think I'd be in the D-range.  Although I want to see the Van Roten contract first.