Encouraging news on last year's top two draft picks
 x 1 x 0
Via Pinstripe Alley:

Yankees Director of scouting Damon Oppenheimer has provided an update on last year’s first-round pick, righty Clarke Schmidt. Oppenheimer said Schmidt is throwing in the mid-90s in Tampa and is close to being game-ready. Schmidt has been recovering from Tommy John surgery.

Matt Sauer, the team’s second-rounder in 2017, should be ready to join either minor-league affiliates Staten Island or Charleston soon.

The news on Clarke is especially encouraging, since it wasn't even clear if he'd be ready before August. He would have been a top 5-10 overall pick last year but for the torn UL, and the Yankees took a chance on him as their #1 pick, knowing he'd  miss all of last season and much of this one.

They paid him way under slot for a first round  pick and used the extra money to pay Sauer over slot as their 2nd pick, which was enough to lure him away from attending college. Sauer would have gone mid-late first round, but was committed to attending  college, so teams drafting ahead of the Yankees passed on him. But the Yankees were able to land him with the money they saved on Clarke.

Great strategy by Cashman, which essentially landed them two first-round pitchers, both of whom should have been out of reach.
If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
We have so many players now, we can't even bring them up! Drury, Fraiser, Torreyes, Wade, McKinney!
Game 7 of the Championship series Against the Lakers with Wilt! 

Red: You know my mama wanted me to be a Coach.

Willis: My dad wanted me to be a basketball player.

Red: Well you're better than any player I ever had. And you're the best God damn player I ever saw. Suit up.
 x 0 x 0
(06-08-2018, 04:29 PM)bigjeep8 Wrote:  We have so many players now, we can't even bring them up! Drury, Fraiser, Torreyes, Wade, McKinney!

Trade chips!