Clint Frazier continues to rake at SWB
 x 0 x 0
Frazier was 3-4 with Scranton today, with 2 HRs and 4 RBIs. He's currently hitting .317 with 15 2Bs and 10 HRs, despite having missed a number of games during a couple of call-ups to the Yankees, for whom he's hit .350 in 8 games.

I'm really having trouble deciding if we should keep this guy or deal him for a pitcher, which would almost be a certainty in any trade for a really meaningful starter.

Frazier is finally living up to his hype this year and is easily our top prospect (and one of the top ML prospects) right now, and any team with a top-of-the-rotation starter they're willing to deal, will certainly demand Frazier as part of a package of prospects.
If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
Unless we somehow get a clear #1 ace (and I don't think guys like deGrom and Syndergaard are realistic)... I'm not trading Clint Frazier.

At this point, I see what the Jays want for JA Happ... and if we don't need to give up a top 7-8 prospect, you do it... and that's our team the rest of the way.

And then it's simple. Don't pick up Gardner's option (or pick it up and trade him, if you think he's someone would want at 12.5 mil) and let Clint be the every day LF next year. Jacoby could spell him once a week agst tough righties.

Do that, and not one offensive starter on our team would be 30+.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
Then Florial takes over for Hicks in 2020. Hicks is a FA after the 2019 season.

It's amazing how well we're set up not just now, but years from now. Don't mortgage the future unless it's for a Mets ace. And that's not mortgaging the future either... deGrom, for example, could be a huge part of us winning World Series these next three seasons.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
And I still think Justus Sheffield could be a factor for the Yanks later in the season. Just need to watch his innings in the minors?
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
(07-06-2018, 08:12 AM)sheets316 Wrote:  And I still think Justus Sheffield could be a factor for the Yanks later in the season.  Just need to watch his innings in the minors?

If Sheffield is going to be a factor and Tanaka (who just had an impressive rehab start at SWB) will be back before the All Star break, why do we even need another starter unless he's an ace?

I really don't get why you're so fixated on Happ. If we traded for him, he would be our #4 starter, behind Severino, CC and Tanaka. Why trade a prospect for another mediocre pitcher who's just a rental and will be gone next season?

-Yogi Berra
 x 1 x 0
Just read Tanaka will start for the Yankees on Monday, several weeks ahead of schedule.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
(07-06-2018, 12:12 PM)ancientyankee Wrote:  
(07-06-2018, 08:12 AM)sheets316 Wrote:  And I still think Justus Sheffield could be a factor for the Yanks later in the season.  Just need to watch his innings in the minors?

If Sheffield is going to be a factor and Tanaka (who just had an impressive rehab start at SWB) will be back before the All Star break, why do we even need another starter unless he's an ace?

I really don't get why you're so fixated on Happ. If we traded for him, he would be our #4 starter, behind Severino, CC and Tanaka. Why trade a prospect for another mediocre pitcher who's just a rental and will be gone next season?

Because I want the Yankees to win a World Series this year.

And you keep mentioning "rental"... that's a GOOD THING.  It means we don't need to give up much (or at least we shouldn't).

The Yanks need to do one of two things with SP:

1.  Get a top of the line ace.  Sorry, that's not realistic.  And I'm not sure it's smart business, either.  Guys like Clint, Florial, Sheffield, Andujar, etc... those are the guys who will be involved if we get a true #1.
2.  Not spend a lot for a rental.  Like Happ.

I truly want NOTHING in between.  I don't want another Sonny Gray type deal.  You can search the board and see, when we made the deal... I didn't love it.

Also, as for him being the #4 SP.  Several things:

1.  He easily could be our #2.  Only Severino is clearly better.
2.  As we've seen with Tanaka being out (and Jordan out for the year)... we can't afford SP injuries.  Outside of Severino, the rotation is blah.  Saying we'll have no more SP injuries is terribly unrealistic.
3.  I'm obsessed with winning the division.  If you don't think Happ seriously helps us win the division, you're lost.  The end of our rotation sucks monkey balls.  I can't imagine... truly can't... getting into a wild card game and losing.  It's one game, so you never know.  This scenario... losing the wild card game... would probably be one of the most devastating losses for me, as a fan.  Because I love this team and really am expecting a WS win.  But one game and done?  I can't even fathom that.  But it's possible if we don't improve the SP.
4.  Right now, Sonny Gray is our #4 SP.  If he's starting a playoff game, might as well just forfeit the game.  He's that bad.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
My "fear" with Happ, though. Being in the division, the Blue Jays play hardball and require a better prospect than I'm willing to give up. And Cashman caves. Like I keep saying (and not sure if you're reading it!)... I'm not giving up a top 7-8 prospect for him.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
(07-06-2018, 01:37 PM)sheets316 Wrote:  My "fear" with Happ, though.  Being in the division, the Blue Jays play hardball and require a better prospect than I'm willing to give up.  And Cashman caves.  Like I keep saying (and not sure if you're reading it!)... I'm not giving up a top 7-8 prospect for him.

I agree the Yankees could use another starter. I think every Yankee fan and beat writer agrees with that, as does the entire Yankees organization. The only questions are, which pitcher and at what price?

Every team knows the Yankees are looking hard for a starter and that they still have some top prospects left, and every team offering a starter thinks they can ream a desperate Cashman. Who knows, maybe they can. But if Cashman were to give a prospect like Florial or Trevor Stephan for pitcher like Happ, I'd be really disappointed, because I just don't see Happ as a significant upgrade, and I don't believe he's better than CC or Tanaka as the #2 behind Severino. Happ is not dreadful, and he is better than Gray ... but that's about it.

On the other hand, if a real top-shelf pitcher (even if it's not deGrom) emerges, I think Frazier, Sheffield and Florial would be a very hard package for any team that's in rebuilding mode to pass up. I would do a trade l like that; but as I said, only for a real stud pitcher, not a mid-rotation guy. I just hope Cashman is being a careful shopper.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
Watching gray last night... I get the feeling happ will be a Yankee very soon. The end of the rotation is going to cost the Yankees the division if they don’t do something now.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
Sheets,

Still think Happ would be a good get after yesterday's game? The Yankees ate his lunch and he's now given up 20 earned runs in his last 23 innings.

If Cashman is actually interested in this mid to low-rotation loser, I'd suggest he set his sights elsewhere.

Right now it looks like Boston has the better team, But JA Happ is not the guy who's going to change that.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
I been saying forever now we keep our core youth and when it's time to spend that dough in FA it will be all on pitching

At this point i have zero interest in trading Torres and Miggy and Clint unless he is included in a package that gets you back a Degrom, Noah or Bum which we all know ain't happening.

Degrom and Sev in playoffs without question would be the best 1-2 punch.....and on paper would lock us the next 2 WS

So yeah I would give up Clint,Adams,Sheff,Florial which i know won't happen but i would only want to trade that kind of package for an ace......Clint and Florial better not be included in trades for Happ.
Darnold: Jets  qb 2018-2035. 6 time SB champ, 6 time SB MVP, 9 time NFL MVP, 12 time first team ALL PRO, HOF class of 2040.
 x 0 x 0
(07-08-2018, 12:56 PM)Tom Hanks Wrote:  So yeah I would give up Clint,Adams,Sheff,Florial which i know won't happen but i would only want to trade that kind of package for an ace......Clint and Florial better not be included in trades for Happ.

If Cashman gave up Frazier and Florial for Happ, he should be fired on the spot. But it's very hard to see anything like that 'Happening.'

As far as the Mets dealing with the Yankees goes, that team is desperate for prospects, and for a package that includes Frazier and Sheff, plus maybe one other kid, they might be sorely tempted.

But even if they pass on dealing with the Yankees no matter what the return, there are other teams who will soon be totally out of the post-season picture, and some have solid starters who could easily be in play. I just don't want another stiff in the rotation at this point, and I'd rather stick with what we've got and maybe bring Sheffield up, even if it means we have to concede the division to Boston again this year. I wasn't thinking WS until 2019 anyway.

-Yogi Berra
 x 0 x 0
(07-08-2018, 11:49 AM)ancientyankee Wrote:  Sheets,

Still think Happ would be a good get after yesterday's game? The Yankees ate his lunch and he's now given up 20 earned runs in his last 23 innings.

If Cashman is actually interested in this mid to low-rotation loser, I'd suggest he set his sights elsewhere.

Right now it looks like Boston has the better team, But JA Happ is not the guy who's going to change that.

Definitely souring.  He went from a clear #2 SP a month ago... to a decent #4 now.  I think Happ is an All-Star... LOL, that's pathetic.  I keep mentioning Happ, but I'll take anyone like him (just pitching better now!)... where we don't give up much.  Again, I actually WANT the rental, for two reasons:

1.  Give up less
2.  I have bigger and better hopes for the Yankee rotation in 2019 and beyond.  Like Hanks just said... free agency this year needs to be about SP.  I honestly don't know who is a FA, but you need to get one of the top two FA pitchers.  So your rotation next year = Severino, top FA SP, Tanaka, Sheffield and whoever else.

I'd still take Happ, but the compensation needs to be someone I never even heard of!
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
And Happ making the All-Star team is a perfect example of why they need to stop with every team being represented. There's probably 100+ players more deserving that him. And anyone really think there's a ton of Blue Jays fans excited to see JA Happ? Someone with a 4.44 ERA and who might not make another start for the Blue Jays anyway? (I realize, if he isn't trade in the next few days, he'll make another start this week)
Da'Ron