Building the Perfect Defense
 x 0 x 0
Just how good could the Jets defense be next year? What could they look like after free agency and the 2018 NFL Draft

[Image: houston-texans-v-los-angeles-ram-2e8c8ce8ccd434d3.jpg]
[Image: houston-texans-v-los-angeles-ram-2e8c8ce8ccd434d3.jpg]

Getting defensive

This entire Jets offseason will be dominated by quarterback storylines, and justifiably so. Entering his fourth season as general manager, Mike Maccagnan still doesn't have his franchise guy. If he doesn't get him in free agency or the draft, it's hard to imagine him making it to Year 5. 
But what about the guys on defense?
The Jets D took a step forward last year, but there's still work to be done. Some of those draft picks, and a chunk of the available cap space, will be spent on the other side of the ball. So what could the Jets' defense look like after a perfect offseason? Here's a look ...

DEFENSIVE LINE

ADDITIONS: Jared Crick, Broncos (free agency)
NOTABLE SUBTRACTIONS: Muhammad Wilkerson
THE STARTERS: Jared Crick (DE), Steve McLendon (NT), Leonard Williams (DE)

ANALYSIS: Wilkerson's time with the Jets is coming to a close. He'll eventually be released. Bowles wants to create a winning culture, and Wilkerson doesn't fit that. The Jets don't need to invest a ton of money to find a replacement. Crick, when healthy, is a solid run-stuffer. The Jets need someone to set the edge over there, which Crick does well. 

INSIDE LINEBACKERS

ADDITIONS: N/A
NOTABLE SUBTRACTIONS: N/A
THE STARTERS: Demario Davis, Darron Lee

ANALYSIS: Davis is a free agent, and it's a priority for the Jets to re-sign him. He's coming off a career year in which he had 135 tackles and five sacks. If another team signs Davis away, NaVorro Bowman (Raiders) would be a quality replacement. 
Lee, the No. 20 pick in the 2016 draft, took steps forward last year.  The jury's still out on if he'll become a dominant player, but there's optimism over at One Jets Drive. 

OUTSIDE LINEBACKERS

ADDITIONS: Ezekiel Ansah, Lions (free agency), Dorance Armstrong Jr., Kansas (NFL Draft)
THE STARTERS: Ansah, Jordan Jenkins, Armstrong

ANALYSIS: Ansah's played his entire career as a 4-3 defensive end, but he has the athletic ability to make a switch. Paired with Armstrong, a possible target in the second round, would give the Jets a tremendous 1-2 punch on passing situations. Jordan Jenkins (returning starter) gives the Jets solid edge-setting, and Dylan Donahue (rookie in 2016) can be a rotational rusher.  

CORNERBACKS

ADDITIONS: Trumain Johnson, Rams (free agency), Patrick Robinson, Eagles (free agency)
NOTABLE SUBTRACTIONS: Buster Skrine (cut)
THE STARTERS: Johnson, Morris Claiborne (re-signed), Robinson

ANALYSIS: The Jets don't have to release Skrine. They have the cap space to keep him. But if an improvement is available, they should make a run. Robinson would be an improvement. 
Trumaine Johnson is arguably the top cornerback set to hit the market. He'll be expensive, but worth it. If the Jets miss out on him, New England's Malcolm Butler is another option. Either would pair nicely with Claiborne, a priority re-sign. 

SAFETIES

ADDITIONS: N/A
THE STARTERS: Jamal Adams, Marcus Maye

ANALYSIS: Maye and Adams showed immense progress as rookies. No need to make any changes here. The question? Just how good will they be in Year 2?
Be careful with your words.
Once they are said,
they can only be
forgiven,
not forgotten.
 x 0 x 0
Did you forget to copy and paste the secondary?
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
Not a fan of Crick at all. Too one dimensional for my liking.

Once they are said,
they can only be
forgiven,
not forgotten.
 x 0 x 0
Only problem I have with this is Ansah. He's 29 and coming off two pretty bad seasons. I'd take him, but nowhere near a market contract. Because he's probably the 2nd best pass rusher available. But that doesn't mean he's good.

He had 2 sacks in 2016. He had 12 this past year. But take a closer look. He had 6 through the first 14 games. Then got 6 in the final two games. Against BAD teams playing for nothing. Looks like he realized he would hit free agency and had to turn it on for a couple weeks. Pad those stats. No thanks.
 x 0 x 0
(02-13-2018, 05:43 PM)ZenMaster Wrote:  Only problem I have with this is Ansah. He's 29 and coming off two pretty bad seasons. I'd take him, but nowhere near a market contract. Because he's probably the 2nd best pass rusher available. But that doesn't mean he's good.

He had 2 sacks in 2016. He had 12 this past year. But take a closer look. He had 6 through the first 14 games. Then got 6 in the final two games. Against BAD teams playing for nothing. Looks like he realized he would hit free agency and had to turn it on for a couple weeks. Pad those stats. No thanks.

They estimated his market value (down below). He'll most likely get above that as top players get over paid in FA.

Ansah's 14.5 sacks in 2015 ranked third in the league but a nagging ankle injury derailed his effectiveness in 2016. He bounced back last season, logging 12 sacks in 14 games and now new Lions coach Matt Patricia must decide if he wants to use the franchise or transition tag on Ansah or let him hit free agency. If Patricia thinks Ansah can replicate his 2015 and 2017 success he may want to keep him.  

(The Patriots struggled to get after the quarterback all season, a reality that was painfully obvious in the Super Bowl when Nick Foles wasn't sacked once.) 

According to Spotrac, Ansah's calculated market value is a four-year, $53.1 million contract ($13.2 million annually).
Once they are said,
they can only be
forgiven,
not forgotten.
 x 0 x 0
The dumb part about the entire article is that the Jets been drafting defensive players in the first round over the last 8 years. You would think they would have an All Pro Team by now.
Jesus Christ himself has blessed me with many gifts, one of them is knocking someone the fuck out!
 x 0 x 0
(02-13-2018, 06:13 PM)L.A.D.11 Wrote:  
(02-13-2018, 05:43 PM)ZenMaster Wrote:  Only problem I have with this is Ansah. He's 29 and coming off two pretty bad seasons. I'd take him, but nowhere near a market contract. Because he's probably the 2nd best pass rusher available. But that doesn't mean he's good.

They estimated his market value (down below). He'll most likely get above that as top players get over paid in FA.

Ansah's 14.5 sacks in 2015 ranked third in the league but a nagging ankle injury derailed his effectiveness in 2016. He bounced back last season, logging 12 sacks in 14 games and now new Lions coach Matt Patricia must decide if he wants to use the franchise or transition tag on Ansah or let him hit free agency. If Patricia thinks Ansah can replicate his 2015 and 2017 success he may want to keep him.  

(The Patriots struggled to get after the quarterback all season, a reality that was painfully obvious in the Super Bowl when Nick Foles wasn't sacked once.)

According to Spotrac, Ansah's calculated market value is a four-year, $53.1 million contract ($13.2 million annually).

Huh?!?!  This is just factually untrue.  They were 7th in the NFL in sacks.  They have two young talented guys but their pass rush massively overachieved.  The total opposite of their secondary which massively underachieved.
"I’m speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I’ve said a lot of things"

"Look at my African-American over here. Look at him, are you the greatest?"
 x 0 x 0
This probably deserves its own thread, but what the heck happened to Mo Wilkerson!?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/01/do_jets_regret_muhammad_wilkersons_long-term_contr.html

Did he just get a big money deal and stop giving a shit? I thought he would be a building block for a while. Now, he's just going to get cut. Having him and and Richardson go (two 1st Rounders) is such a kick in the gut. Those are picks you build on. Uhggg this franchise is trying to kill me.

x 0 x 0
(02-14-2018, 10:11 AM)choochmmm9 Wrote:  This probably deserves its own thread, but what the heck happened to Mo Wilkerson!?

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2018/01/do_jets_regret_muhammad_wilkersons_long-term_contr.html

Did he just get a big money deal and stop giving a shit? I thought he would be a building block for a while. Now, he's just going to get cut. Having him and and Richardson go (two 1st Rounders) is such a kick in the gut. Those are picks you build on. Uhggg this franchise is trying to kill me.

The name of that article ("do they regret the contract?") is so silly!  OF COURSE THEY DO!!!  It's one of the worst contracts in the entire NFL.  Putting zero thought into it, but could it be the worst?

He was paid a small fortune to be a blah player who was a cancer.

And, yes, I think he did what many have done over the years... get the huge deal, then not give a shit anymore.
Da'Ron
 x 0 x 0
Not sure if this free agency is the worst time to have a huge cap space or not. There doesn't seem to be a plethora of great fitting impact players in key positions that is right for the team... aside of "Capt'n" Kirk "fucked my" Cousin or Demarcus "Marcus" Lawerence "Fishburne" - I don't see any players that I would get overly excited about signing with the Jets. I guess maybe a legit center or Trumaine Johnson? buh....
STOP BLOWING MY MOM!!!!!!!!!!!! - Sheets316
 x 0 x 0
(02-14-2018, 10:11 AM)choochmmm9 Wrote:  This probably deserves its own thread, but what the heck happened to Mo Wilkerson!?

Yes when you have a broken legs your going to be out of shape going into the next season as you basically have no off-season, however with his finances he shouldn't have a problem getting help from a nutritionist or cook to help him in the process.

But it sucks having a position of strength and go a reductant route and draft another player (Williams) at their position. After doing so there's still a scheme you can run to place all three playing the interior. Instead we sign a NT and place Sheldon at OLB. Look at the clip I posted above which show Sheldon beasting in the interior.  
Once they are said,
they can only be
forgiven,
not forgotten.
 x 0 x 0
I know this doesn't have anything to do with the thread but didn't want to start one.

Slovenia beat the U.S. in mens hockey. Holy shit.....who's Slovenia??!!!
"Children are tiny versions of us minus the crushing failure"