A six-pack of Dolphins notes on a Tuesday
01-09-2018, 09:27 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-09-2018, 09:35 PM by kingdolfan3.)
A six-pack of Dolphins notes on a Tuesday
 x 0  x 0 
More encouraging news on Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill
BY BARRY JACKSON  bjackson@miamiherald.com
JANUARY 09, 2018 06:00 PM
http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article193816064.html

A six-pack of Dolphins notes on a Tuesday:
  Quarterback Ryan Tannehill has continued to progress splendidly in his recovery from major knee surgery in August and the expectation is that he will be ready for the team’s offseason program beginning in April.

Whether Tannehill will be doing everything by April and May practices remains to be seen. 

The Dolphins obviously won’t do anything foolish or premature.

But Tannehill is expected to be a participant in offseason work. 

He was seen running well late in the season and running up stairs at road games.

He has been throwing well (obviously, that shouldn’t be affected by his knee issues) and is walking without a limp.

Adam Gase has said that Tannehill will be Miami’s starting quarterback in 2018. 

He was 12th in the league in passer rating in 2016 before sustaining a season-ending knee injury in Miami’s 13th game.

The Dolphins so far have given no indication if they want to re-sign impending free agent defensive end William Hayes. 

Miami might try to sign him after free agency starts if they can get him back at a reduced rate.

Hayes, 32, was an asset when healthy, ranking 18th overall among defensive ends this season and fifth against the run, according to Pro Football Focus.

He was placed on injured reserve with a back injury on Nov. 27 and ended the season with 19 tackles and a sack in 10 games.

Hayes would have been under contact next season if Miami hadn’t agreed to his request to rip up the last year of his contract.

In return, Hayes’ salary for 2017 was lowered from $5.5 million to $4.7 million but Hayes received a $2 million signing bonus.

Linebacker Koa Misi, on injured reserve all season, was permitted to spend the season on the West Coast. He becomes a free agent in March. It would be surprising if Misi plays again, but he hasn’t retired.

Chase Allen was given good feedback from coaches after starting two of the final three games at middle linebacker and four overall during a season in which he had 40 tackles.

Stephone Anthony and Allen could be Miami’s fourth and fifth linebackers next season, but the Dolphins are expected to try to find a new starter to replace Lawrence Timmons opposite Kiko Alonso and Raekwon McMillan.

New Dolphins offensive coordinator Dowell Loggains was subjected to criticism from Chicago media last season, not surprising considering the Bears were 30th in total offense.

From a Nov. 15 column from David Baugh of The Chicago Tribune: 

“Offensive coordinators who let defenses dictate who plays end up losing more than football games. 

The best ones create mismatches that benefit their team. 

The worst ones appear miscast in their roles because they fear them. 

After 25 games on the job, Loggains looks more like the latter, overly cautious without being obviously creative. 

In sports, fearful athletes and coaches who believe that only bad things can happen to them usually are right. 

The tentative Bears offense is less threatening than a holiday invitation from in-laws.

“This game is about matchups and that’s the first thing we look at when we decide who’s going to be in the game,” Loggains explained, feebly.

It has been a tough week to be the Bears’ overmatched 37-year-old offensive coordinator. 

On Sunday, FOX analyst Chris Spielman, a former NFL linebacker, labeled the Bears offense predictable — “Run, run, pass,” Spielman said. 

On Wednesday [Nov. 14], ESPN.com released its ranking of the NFL’s 32 best play-callers — and Loggains finished 32nd.

While Loggains called the plays in Chicago, Gase is expected to continue to call plays for the Dolphins.

How Jakeem Grant played late in the season made a case for the Dolphins using more four-receiver sets at times next season. 

And when I asked Gase about that possibility in late December, he seemed intrigued by that option.

“It’s an unusual thing for a defense to see when you do that,” Gase said. 

“Some teams, when we haven’t shown it and then when you throw it in there, they’re not really prepared for it; they’re not really sure what we’re going to do with it because we start moving guys all over the place and different guys in the backfield, different guys in different spots, the slot outside. 

I think when we have multiple guys that can play inside between Kenny [Stills], Jarvis [Landry] and Jakeem [Grant], that just causes issues where guys are. It’s hard to focus on one player and it’s fairly easy for our guys to move around when we’re in that package.”

Gase said Grant “causes a lot of problems for the defense because you can put him in the slot, you can put him outside, you can put him in the backfield. 

We’re not afraid to give him the ball as a running back. 

The speed obviously is his … something that really is a challenging thing for the defense. 

I don’t think guys realize how quick and how fast he can accelerate until they get in a game.”
"Do or do not, there is no try."- Yoda
"Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!"- John Wayne - True Grit
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy"- Clint Eastwood - Outlaw Josey Wales
01-09-2018, 10:32 PM,
RE: A six-pack of Dolphins notes on a Tuesday
 x 0  x 0 
sympathy response
thegreathoo Wrote:We have not seen better QB play than RT in 2014, therefore, arguably he is better than Marino.

01-09-2018, 11:36 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
Dolphin Notes people actually care about on a Tuesday:

Jarvis Landry was named to the Pro Bowl to replace DeAndre Hopkins.

Richie Incognito said a bunch of racial slurs in the loss to Jacksonville.
thegreathoo Wrote:We have not seen better QB play than RT in 2014, therefore, arguably he is better than Marino.

01-10-2018, 11:00 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
I don’t know, I certainly care that the OC we hired was labeled the worst play caller in the league. He may not be calling plays here, but it’s still a confusing hire.
01-10-2018, 11:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-10-2018, 11:54 AM by Litefghtr.)
 x 0  x 0 
Feels like more leaves from the tree of failure
"Children are tiny versions of us minus the crushing failure"
01-10-2018, 02:11 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-10-2018, 11:00 AM)dhouse82 Wrote:  I don’t know, I certainly care that the OC we hired was labeled the worst play caller in the league. He may not be calling plays here, but it’s still a confusing hire.

If you actually read all that, to find that nugget, good for you.

He won't be calling the plays though I still think its a shit move.

01-10-2018, 02:32 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
I'm not happy with the guy that called the plays last year to be honest.
01-10-2018, 02:35 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
He's like every other OC we've had for the past 10 years.

He's genius for a drive, then boring bland and stupid for 4 drives, then genius again, then bad for the rest of the game.

I will never understand it. LETS RUN ON EVERY 2ND and 10!

01-11-2018, 11:22 AM,
 x 1  x 0 
The play calling improved in my opinion after Ajayi was traded.
I might not change the world, but I sure won't ever let it change me. P.S.
01-11-2018, 12:17 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
One of my biggest disappointments with Cutler was that I thought he would air it out for good or bad. This is one of my problems with Tanny is I think he doesn't take risks and sometimes you do. It's the one thing that Moore is good at, he don't give a fuck...he will air it in a second.

So Cutler not only didn't air it out, he seemed more safe than Tanny. I can't tell if that's the player, coach, combined. Who knows.
01-11-2018, 09:13 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-11-2018, 11:22 AM)Etrius24 Wrote:  The play calling improved in my opinion after Ajayi was traded.

It opened up the playbook since we could finally call more than 8 plays, but look at the difference between Pats @ Miami offense vs @Bills offense.

Against the Pats we were moving guys all over and hitting the runningbacks left and right and then vs the Bills we just bland vanilla bs.

I just don't get it.

01-11-2018, 10:03 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
If we don't draft a QB I'm gonna be really surprised, that's great to read about Tannehill, he's costing a lot, I wanna see hes at the facility every fuckin day......I also like what the article said about 4 WR sets, unreal Gator is actually ahead of Caroo, holy shit Caroo must be dumb AF! All the ability is there, must not have it upstairs or just flat out lazy.
I contain unprepared crude & raw humor
01-12-2018, 12:55 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
Tay

I dunno

When Carroo got a chance to play this year he looked good out there... Like he was one of the only players hustling and playing with emotion.

Maybe he is like Matt Moore and does not practice well or some bullshit excuse?
I might not change the world, but I sure won't ever let it change me. P.S.
01-12-2018, 05:16 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-12-2018, 12:55 AM)Etrius24 Wrote:  Tay

I dunno

When Carroo got a chance to play this year he looked good out there... Like he was one of the only players hustling and playing with emotion.

Maybe he is like Matt Moore and does not practice well or some bullshit excuse?

I don't know but either way all of us need to see him on the field to justify that trade, Gator has outplayed him, sad. He was a beast at Rutgers and became a kitten in the NFL, Carroos new nickname is Kitten until proven otherwise. Kitten Carroo
I contain unprepared crude & raw humor
01-12-2018, 07:59 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
Carroo might get his chance if Landry leaves.

01-13-2018, 04:43 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
(01-12-2018, 07:59 PM)TheBizzness Wrote:  Carroo might get his chance if Landry leaves.

Then He's Gone!
"Do or do not, there is no try."- Yoda
"Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!"- John Wayne - True Grit
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy"- Clint Eastwood - Outlaw Josey Wales