2018 Knicks Offseason Thread
07-08-2018, 01:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-08-2018, 01:06 PM by ancientyankee.)
RE: 2018 Knicks Offseason Thread
 x 0  x 0 
(07-02-2018, 05:02 PM)Dr_Pitbull Wrote:  
(07-02-2018, 04:56 PM)Are We There Yet Wrote:  I forgot to add we have 16 players....for 15 spots. When do we have to decide on the final 15? SL players Kornet/Mitchell need to have deals. Something has to give here.

Mitchell should be much better than Kornet, IMO

Agreed. For a 2nd round pick who was inactive for a year, Mitchell was impressive in the SL opener. He's very raw, and looked lost at times, so I think he'll need some time in G-League before he can be a serious contributor for the Knicks. But, wow, what a skill set. He's fun to watch and generates excitement with his athleticism. Especially loved his tenacity under the glass and shot-blocking.

One problem might be all those fouls, but KP faced the same challenge early on.
If you don't know where you're going, you might wind up somewhere else.

-Yogi Berra
07-08-2018, 03:39 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(07-08-2018, 01:04 PM)ancientyankee Wrote:  
(07-02-2018, 05:02 PM)Dr_Pitbull Wrote:  Mitchell should be much better than Kornet, IMO

Agreed. For a 2nd round pick who was inactive for a year, Mitchell was impressive in the SL opener. He's very raw, and looked lost at times, so I think he'll need some time in G-League before he can be a serious contributor for the Knicks. But, wow, what a skill set. He's fun to watch and generates excitement with his athleticism. Especially loved his tenacity under the glass and shot-blocking.

You can tell Knox and Robinson are going to be good players. I just hope they’re not traded Kyrie or Butler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
07-08-2018, 03:51 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(07-08-2018, 03:39 PM)damntoni Wrote:  
(07-08-2018, 01:04 PM)ancientyankee Wrote:  Agreed. For a 2nd round pick who was inactive for a year, Mitchell was impressive in the SL opener. He's very raw, and looked lost at times, so I think he'll need some time in G-League before he can be a serious contributor for the Knicks. But, wow, what a skill set. He's fun to watch and generates excitement with his athleticism. Especially loved his tenacity under the glass and shot-blocking.

You can tell Knox and Robinson are going to be good players. I just hope they’re not traded Kyrie or Butler.

Or worse...Kemba. I doubt they get traded. That would be idiotic. From all I've seen so far...Perry is not an idiot. He's actually the best GM we've had under Dolan to this point. 

Kyrie and Jimmy want to play together. They can forego the whole max salary then and, split whatever cap we can create to fit them in. Otherwise...fuck off. We shouldn't be giving up any assets for either player. I also wouldn't give a max to either player. 
07-13-2018, 01:33 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018-07-13_at_12.25.58_PM.png]

I read his daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia, so it's possible that's not why he's coming back.

If it's a "get rid of old regime" move, that's pretty weak. He was a great asset to the organization.
New York Knicks: pummeling fans’ hopes and dreams since 2001 
07-13-2018, 04:26 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(07-13-2018, 01:33 PM)OnFire34 Wrote:  [Image: Screen_Shot_2018-07-13_at_12.25.58_PM.png]

I read his daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia, so it's possible that's not why he's coming back.

If it's a "get rid of old regime" move, that's pretty weak. He was a great asset to the organization.

He did a great job, but if I were Perry I want my own guys.  A basketball team like a pack of dogs must have a defined leader on the court and in the office.  Loyalty is so important that sometimes you need to pass on some skilled people
"Do not correct a fool, or he will hate you; correct a wise man and he will appreciate you." ~PROVERBS 9:8

07-13-2018, 05:19 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(07-13-2018, 04:26 PM)Dr_Pitbull Wrote:  
(07-13-2018, 01:33 PM)OnFire34 Wrote:  [Image: Screen_Shot_2018-07-13_at_12.25.58_PM.png]

He did a great job, but if I were Perry I want my own guys.  A basketball team like a pack of dogs must have a defined leader on the court and in the office.  Loyalty is so important that sometimes you need to pass on some skilled people

This
Be careful with your words.
Once they are said,
they can only be
forgiven,
not forgotten.
07-13-2018, 06:58 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
^ I mean... he wasn't some boisterous figure in the organization. he was a scout. and a great one at that... send him on scouting trips and have him report back.

but hey, maybe he just didn't want to do that given his daughter's illness.
07-14-2018, 11:09 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
Gaines did alot of work that Phil didn't want to be bothered with like going overseas scouting players or even in your own backyard. Perry seems more hands on or at least interested.
Jesus Christ himself has blessed me with many gifts, one of them is knocking someone the fuck out!
07-14-2018, 11:20 PM,
 x 0  x 0 

Jesus Christ himself has blessed me with many gifts, one of them is knocking someone the fuck out!
07-22-2018, 09:50 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
The Knicks need to do what the Nets are doing right now. Asset collecting. I know we're trying to clear off cap space for next summer, but I don't want to put our eggs in that basket. The FA game is a total crap shoot. I'd rather collect assets and try and acquire players in trades than crossing our fingers next summer. I just hope that we don't do what we do EVERYTIME we have cap space which is miss out of the big FAs and spend the money on tier 3 FAs like Amare, Felton, Noah, Lee, Thomas, etc. If we miss out on FAs this summer we should look to take on bad contracts for more picks.
07-22-2018, 11:38 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
The problem is that the knicks are always over the cap they never leave 20-30 mil open every year like the nets or sixers..the knicks feel like they must cap out every year regardless who they get just to show they are active in FA and for all the money we spent we end up with a poor record and miss the playoffs,bad teams should never be around the top of team salaries

"P Y P" pick your poison Beckham,Barkley,Engram or Shepard

07-23-2018, 02:02 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
(07-22-2018, 09:50 PM)carmelo Wrote:  The Knicks need to do what the Nets are doing right now. Asset collecting. I know we're trying to clear off cap space for next summer, but I don't want to put our eggs in that basket. The FA game is a total crap shoot. I'd rather collect assets and try and acquire players in trades than crossing our fingers next summer. I just hope that we don't do what we do EVERYTIME we have cap space which is miss out of the big FAs and spend the money on tier 3 FAs like Amare, Felton, Noah, Lee, Thomas, etc. If we miss out on FAs this summer we should look to take on bad contracts for more picks.

Knicks have young assets now with KP, Frank, Knox, Robinson and see how Mario/Burke/Mudiay pan out. What they need is another All Star player that can help take them to the playoffs. 
07-23-2018, 03:24 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
(07-23-2018, 02:02 AM)Limpbiz Wrote:  
(07-22-2018, 09:50 PM)carmelo Wrote:  The Knicks need to do what the Nets are doing right now. Asset collecting. I know we're trying to clear off cap space for next summer, but I don't want to put our eggs in that basket. The FA game is a total crap shoot. I'd rather collect assets and try and acquire players in trades than crossing our fingers next summer. I just hope that we don't do what we do EVERYTIME we have cap space which is miss out of the big FAs and spend the money on tier 3 FAs like Amare, Felton, Noah, Lee, Thomas, etc. If we miss out on FAs this summer we should look to take on bad contracts for more picks.

Knicks have young assets now with KP, Frank, Knox, Robinson and see how Mario/Burke/Mudiay pan out. What they need is another All Star player that can help take them to the playoffs. 

We have some young assets, but definitely not on the same level as the Celtics and Sixers had when they were collecting assets. While we're coming off a pretty good summer league and draft. Knox and Robinson still have a lot to prove. I think Knox has what it takes to be a special player. Even if we luck out there we have two star caliber home grown guys. I don't think that's enough to lure FAs with how this NBA is turning out. We need like 3-bonafide stars to lure a FA. The Sixers have Embid & Simmons with a bunch of elite young players or role players like Saric, Fultz, Covington, Reddick, Chandler. The Celtics have 3 or 4 elite stars in Irving, Horford, Haywood, and now Tatum with a slew of good young players like Brown, Smart, Rozier, Ojeleye. Right now we have 1 star player coming off ACL surgery and a few young players that have question marks like Ntilikina, Knox, Robinson. Mudiay and Burke are two guys that I think need to get a ton of minutes this year. If they look good, they will definitely help our situation because they both have low cap holds and we can offer then contracts that exceed the cap. Mario is a total wild card. If he plays well, we have no real leverage to keep him unless we eat into our salary cap which I think is a risky move. I'm hoping he plays well, but not well enough for him to get a contract larger than a mid-level contract.

With all that said, we currently don't have the cap space to sign a max player next year unless we stretch Noah. Even if we do that, we can get 1 max player. Will one max player sign here with what I just mentioned above? If they want to win now, then probably not. We'd have to off load Lee and Thomas and possibly Hardaway to get two max players and to do that, I wonder if the Knicks do what they did in 2010 and give up picks to free up salary. I'm saying that we become buyers in the market and stack up our assets so we have more options in the future. I think we're not in a good negotiating place right now to make big moves in 2019. We'd end up giving up assets which is taking steps backwards (like the Melo deal).
07-23-2018, 05:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2018, 05:10 PM by OnFire34.)
 x 0  x 0 
There has been legitimate talk about NY being a free agent destination when it hasn't been in past years. I'm not saying I buy it, but it's the same reporters who typically say free agents just use the knicks as leverage. I'll obviously believe it when i see it, but the overall (figurative) health of the franchise is much better than it used to be.
07-24-2018, 05:25 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
https://twitter.com/KnickFilmSchool/status/1021695513832370178

Just a pro am, but holy shit is burke quick
07-25-2018, 11:13 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
(07-24-2018, 05:25 PM)OnFire34 Wrote:  https://twitter.com/KnickFilmSchool/status/1021695513832370178

Just a pro am, but holy shit is burke quick

I used to teach that wide ass dribble and so many coaches would disagree with me, but that is how you create space.  You need to show the ball a little.
"Do not correct a fool, or he will hate you; correct a wise man and he will appreciate you." ~PROVERBS 9:8

07-25-2018, 11:33 AM,
 x 0  x 0 
Burke should be starting.

07-25-2018, 06:21 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
[Knicks sign Kadeem Allen]

Begley: With Kadeem Allen on the roster, the Knicks now have 19 players under contract (including two on 2-way deals). They can add one more player for training camp/preseason before reaching the NBA limit. They can have 15 players on NBA contracts and two 2-way players during the season
08-10-2018, 05:32 PM,
 x 0  x 0 
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018-08-10_at_4.31.54_PM.png]