‘Kind of cool’: Richmond Webb passes torch to cousin J’Marcus
10-12-2019, 12:51 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-12-2019, 12:52 PM by kingdolfan3.)
‘Kind of cool’: Richmond Webb passes torch to cousin J’Marcus
 x 0  x 1 
‘Kind of cool’: Richmond Webb passes torch to cousin J’Marcus on Miami Dolphins’ offensive line
By Hal Habib
Posted at 12:01 AM
https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20191012/kind-of-cool-richmond-webb-passes-torch-to-cousin-jmarcus-on-miami-dolphins-offensive-line?rssfeed=true

J’Marcus Webb says sometimes coaches call him ‘Richmond’ for laughs, but Dan Marino wasn’t joking when he told J’Marcus he loves his former bodyguard at left tackle.

DAVIE — For most guys, it would be enough pressure to play for the Dolphins after your cousin cemented his legacy as one of the greatest players in team history.

It would be even more pressure seeing your cousin’s name around the training complex every day, and still more to look up on Sundays and see his name in the Dolphins’ Honor Roll at Hard Rock Stadium.

But the real topper for Dolphins tackle J’Marcus Webb?

Sometimes coaches call him Richmond.

“It’s actually kind of cool,” J’Marcus said.

“Just because we’re both big guys, same position.”

The fact J’Marcus laughed as he recalled those instances tells you all you need to know about how he handles any heat to live up to the family name.

“No, no, not at all,” J’Marcus said. “I am me and he was him.”

But make no mistake, J’Marcus knows what Richmond Webb, now 52, accomplished in Miami.

And if he didn’t, it hit him in the face when Richmond attended the Dolphins’ game at Dallas.

Perhaps seeing Richmond is why Dan Marino, a special assistant on the Dolphins, struck up a conversation with J’Marcus.

“He asked me if he was my cousin and I was like, ‘Yeah,’ ” J’Marcus said.

Then came the ultimate endorsement from Marino: “Well, I love that guy.”

Of course he does.

Richmond was drafted in the first round in 1990 (ninth overall) and was an impact player out of the gate, going to seven consecutive Pro Bowls, being named a two-time All-Pro and missing only two games in his first eight seasons.

As a left tackle, Richmond was a key reason Marino consistently ranked among the least-sacked quarterbacks in the NFL.

And now, in his own way, Richmond hopes he can help Josh Rosen keep a cleaner jersey through J’Marcus.

“Tons of advice,” J’Marcus said he has received from his cousin. “Actually over the years — I’m going into my 10th year — it’s been a little advice here and there, like, ‘Keep the focus. Work on your craft every day and play for the guys next to you.’ That sort of thing.”

Richmond said he stressed mental preparation as J’Marcus worked his way toward the NFL out of West Texas A&M (as opposed to Webb’s alma mater, Texas A&M).

J’Marcus was a seventh-round pick of the Bears who has bounced around the NFL, including getting released by Indianapolis in August and getting signed by the Dolphins a week later.

J’Marcus has appeared in all four games for the Dolphins, starting three.

Back home in Texas, Richmond can turn on a game and see WEBB playing offensive tackle for the Dolphins again.

“It’s a good thing, especially when it’s a relative,” Richmond said.

These days, any advice Richmond can offer isn’t about breaking into the NFL, but staying there.

“I just tell him, ‘Hey, continue to work on this and that because the more you can play, the better.

It’s not like you can make this kind of money every day,’ ” Richmond said.

When it comes to the coaching staff, all the names have changed since Richmond’s day, which is why he was surprised to hear that they occasionally address his cousin using his name.

“Kind of funny,” Richmond said.

J’Marcus:
“Ever since I got here, it’s been pretty cool to kind of see his name around and get different coaches to call me that.”
"Do or do not, there is no try."- Yoda
"Fill your hand, you son of a bitch!"- John Wayne - True Grit
"Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy"- Clint Eastwood - Outlaw Josey Wales